jQuery not supported.

93 silverado clutch problems

93 silverado clutch problems

Postby kentucky_dan [OP] » May 09 2011, 10:14pm

Hi new to the forum and chevy trucks, ive got a 93 silverado with the manual transmission that i recently picked up about a month ago. The truck has nearly 715,000 k 444,300 m on it.
So far its been a great truck, engine runs great! but just today when my wife and I went to the post office i noticed that it was really difficult to get it into gear, drove it around a little with no issue but when i stopped to reverse into my driveway it was hard to get into gear untill it finally dropped in with a loud clunk! once i parked it it left it sit for an hour or 2, then went back out to check on it... the clutch now makes a loud rattling noise when it is depressed and its even harder to get into gear.
wondering if it is just a clutch plate that will need replacing, or will it be a whole clutch assembly and or a rebuilt transmission. also what will be an average cost for these options?
thanks so much, any help appreciated.
Original Poster
kentucky_dan
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1993
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 93 silverado clutch problems

Postby lzn197 » May 09 2011, 11:26pm

Sounds like the clutch went out. If you shut the truck off, does it go into reverse just fine as well as the other gears? There ya go. Replace the COMPLETE clutch.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Re: 93 silverado clutch problems

Postby kentucky_dan [OP] » May 10 2011, 12:11am

With the truck shut off it goes into gear fine untill you press in the clutch. Even when its off. Figures, im a delivery driver so ive had to drive it a bunch.
Original Poster
kentucky_dan
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1993
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain