Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

95 z71 Leaking Trans fluid from T-Case

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ASTE25 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I have a 95 Silverado that "WAS" my primary work truck. It was driving good with no "noticeable" problems :lol: until about three weeks ago when I started leaving small drops of tranny fluid in my parking space. I slid under the driver's side of the truck and noticed that the drips were coming from the output seal on the T-case. I checked the fluid levels, everything was fine, pulled off like "Ok simple fix, I'll get to it". :roll: So about a week goes buy and the drops increased noticeably. I slid back under the truck from the driver's side and everything still looked the same. I checked the fluid levels, they were a bit low, topped off, pulled off like "This is serious, I better fix it tomorrow". :? I get up the next day and go outside ready to tackle the leak and notice a small puddle of fluid. I slid under the truck again, this time from the passenger's side and :eek: I could see that the fluid was coming from what appeared to be a worn out gasket between the T-case and the tranny. This time I didn't move the truck at all. Over the next couple of days fluid continued to leak out. It eventually stopped, my assumption is that it has leaked all out, and the truck just sits. :(
Truck 1.jpg

Truck 4.jpg

Truck 6.jpg

I'm pretty good with my tools and I'm not afraid to try anything but I have never removed a T-case so . . .
I am wondering if I can do this myself or not? ... and is it just as simple as disconnecting the drive shafts, electrical connections, and removing the bolts for the T-case to come out? If I can't do this myself I will be heading to the car lot so my fingers are crossed. If anyone could provide input, tips, tricks, or shortcuts it would be greatly appreciated.

Heeeeeeeeelp!
Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a simple fix (although the transfer case is bulky). I would say it is like you diagnosed and just a bag gasket between the transfer case and the transmission and a bad output shaft seal. Once tou get the transmission supported and the transmission crossmember out all you have to do it unbolt the 6 bolts from the case to the transmission and remove any wiring harnesses that are going to the transfer case (and linkage if there are any). Some transfer cases use special fluid in them, so make sure you have the correct fluid to refill it.

#3 ·
Thanks for the help and fast reply. Looks like I'm going to pull the transfer case. I've found a gasket and output shaft seal online that I am going to order if I cant get them locally. I still have few questions that could help me the road. How will I know if the T-case takes a special fluid? For clarity, will I need to support the T-case, transmission, or both when I am removing the T-case? Lastly, I have a garage that I could do the work in, but it is about 1/2 mile away. I would like to fill the fluid back up and have the truck moved to garage, by either driving or having it pushed, primarily for my working convenience. My logic is that I only need to get 1/2 mile and the fluid took days to all leak out. Do you think the truck could handle being moved?

Thanks

#4 ·
1) look in your owners manual, it should tell you the correct type of fluid it will use.
2)I support the transmission with a jack. I normally use a block of 2x4 to prevent damage to the pan. The transfer case should support itself once you have the output shaft fron the transmission inserted to it, however, you want to make sure it does not slip off and fall. I think it has some locating pins to keep it in the right clock position until you can get a bolt started.
3) I tlooks like it is not that bad of a leak that if you filled it, it would leak out in that short distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.