Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Auto to 5speed swap

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Z71Silvy 
#1 ·
Anyone out there that can give me a total list of parts i would need to swap my auto transmission to a 5 speed....i have a 1990 1500 silverado Z71.

#2 ·
Find a 5 Spd truck instead. It will cost you less.

#3 ·
I tried going down that route already with him on chat :p

More background - the original poster has access to a parts truck that is a 5 speed, seller said he would provide everything he needed to make the swap for $500. Extremely labor intensive, but I think he mainly wants to make sure he doesn't leave anything behind.

I still agree with you gmctruckguy - however, in response to the original poster's original question: how far are you from the parts truck? I would just have him sign a bill of sale that said he will be providing everything you need for the $500, then if any parts are missing, the $500 is reduced accordingly. You'll be swapping steering column, pedal assembly, wiring could be a little different on the column, you'll need a cross-member, may as well grab the transfer case, drive shafts, flywheel, clutch, clutch slave cyl.... and I'm sure there's more.

There is no "how to" on this because most people just buy a different truck or get their auto rebuilt when their transmission failes. OR - people adventurous enough to do this swap, aren't the type to document it online. I've done worse projects in my day (5.0 mustang engine into a jeep cherokee, CJ axles, 4 speed manual.... that was a PAIN) so I understand the allure - good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.