jQuery not supported.

Auto to Manual swap

2005 1500 4x4 4.8L

Auto to Manual swap

Postby Ryan [OP] » Jul 04 2012, 4:45pm

Hi all,
I am new to the group. I discovered you all when I was researching info on the following question. I have a 2005 1500 ext cab 4x4 with the mighty (ehem) 4.8L . I plan on throwing a few power upgrades at my truck down the road, but for now as I really don't haul much with it the power is sufficient. What I am interested in doing however, is swapping in a manual transmission. This was the first vehicle I ever bought new and will keep it for many many years. I just like to row my own gears. Has anyone done this? Are there books, kits available? What are your recommendations?
Original Poster
Ryan
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Manual to Auto Swap   99-07 manual or auto climate control blower motor issues   Manual tranny swap   2011 Chevy 1500 Manual Transmission Swap   Yes, I've read the manual, but...   Which service manual?   Best Service Manual   Manual or Automatic   Manual to power mirrors?   De-Icer for manual locks ?   Manual to power doors   2014 Repair Manual   96 Z71 need of owners manual   99-07 manual folding mirrors 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Auto to Manual swap

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 04 2012, 11:46pm

I would reccomend keeping it as an automatic. I love standard shifts as well, but, you will run into a lot of problems if trying to change to a standard shift from an automatic. It's not like the old days before computer controls when it consisted of just changing mechanical parts. It CAN be done, but it would probably not be worth the cost and time required to complete the job.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Auto to Manual swap

Postby mitchman » Jul 05 2012, 12:45am

I would look into something such as a 6.0 swap before a manual swap, and it's probably more easily done

|2011 ECSB Z71|
mitchman
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Blogs: 5
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Ryan [OP] » Jul 05 2012, 12:48am

Thank you for the advice. I may just leave it as is. There is nothing wrong with it. I just miss shifting for myself.
Original Poster
Ryan
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Ryan [OP] » Jul 05 2012, 12:50am

mitchman wrote:I would look into something such as a 6.0 swap before a manual swap, and it's probably more easily done

Thanks Mitch! However, I appreciate the gas mileage I get with the massive ( :roll: ) 4.8L powermouse.
Original Poster
Ryan
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Jul 09 2012, 2:53am

I have the same thought for my 03. I think the best way to start would be to get a donor truck, but it might be do-able from scratch. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject.

For me it seems the 3 biggest hurdles are:

1. Locating the shifter. What's the right height? How much throw? Bend?

2. Installing the clutch pedal. What's out there for a/m hydralics?

3. How do you tell the computer you've now got a stick shift? I work with an old Chevy mechanic who said the dealership can just go in and remove the shift points from the pcm. I also followed a blog that someone put up when he dropped a stick in his Tahoe. He was using back to back pcms to try to solve this issue, but couldn't get rid of the ses light. That would be a problem here because an SES light on is an automatic emissions failure.

A donor truck could solve all of these issues, but it might be more expensive that way, depending how trashed it is.

If you decide to persue this keep us posted.
1 1/2" Rear Drop........................................................3.73 Posi
Spectre CAI..................................................'Vette Servo Piston
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 29
Blogs: 3
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Ryan [OP] » Jul 09 2012, 6:46am

Larry,
Yeah, I think the biggest hurdle is getting all the computer stuff figured out. I think I might just leave it alone. The truck does everything I need it to do just fine. Wondering if this isn't grandpa GM trying to tell me "not to fix what aint broke". I appreciate the feedback man!

Ryan
Original Poster
Ryan
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Jul 09 2012, 7:31am

No prob. I just don't like some doohickey shifting for me like I'm too stupid to do it my self. Especially going up hill with a load. That's when a/t's suck the most.

Plus the most common prob with a stick is usually the clutch, which is a $250 fix for a diy'r. For an a/t it's a rebuild or replace starting at $700 w/o labor.
1 1/2" Rear Drop........................................................3.73 Posi
Spectre CAI..................................................'Vette Servo Piston
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Ryan [OP] » Jul 09 2012, 5:37pm

SilverSurfer wrote:No prob. I just don't like some doohickey shifting for me like I'm too stupid to do it my self. Especially going up hill with a load. That's when a/t's suck the most.

Plus the most common prob with a stick is usually the clutch, which is a $250 fix for a diy'r. For an a/t it's a rebuild or replace starting at $700 w/o labor.

The biggest challenge I face with the truck is deciding which way to go with it. It is the first vehicle I ever bought new. I have toyed with the idea of lift kits, engine swaps and tranny swaps but I am afraid of screwing it up. One of the best parts about the truck is it is an 80 mile round trip to the range I shoot at 2 - 3 times per week and I am afraid of messing up my fuel consumption. I do totally agree with you about not liking the vehicle shifting for me. I wish the OE's would pull their collective heads out. I bet there are a lot of people just on this site that would have purchased their trucks with a manual if it had been an option.
Original Poster
Ryan
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Jul 10 2012, 3:52am

Nobody offers a stick with a v8 in a 1/2 ton anymore.
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership: