jQuery not supported.

Blown rear G80 diff?

Locker not locking

Re: Blown rear G80 diff?

Postby Z15 » Mar 07 2012, 1:33am

would it be better if i did the g80 mod to the locker so it stayed engaged at higher speeds soo it does lock,unlock,lock,unlock in snow when accelrating..

You don't want that. That can be hard to control and too much gas at the wrong time and the rear end will pass you up. That's precisely why they are designed to disengage at around 20 mph, safety.

Has anyone changed the gear lube and used a Limited Slip Additive in it? Limited slip additives can damage a G80 locker.

Like anything, the G80 can be abused and neglected and blamed for things that are not its fault.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 126
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby AZ Rider » Mar 08 2012, 4:26pm

I agree with you all, anything that is abused will most certainly give you trouble. But from what i've read on other forums like Full Size Chevy and GM-Trucks, the G80 has given some truck owners problems in the past! Some have even dubbed it with the name "Gov-Bomb". But like I stated, this is what i've heard...
2010 Silverado Crewcab LS 4.8:
Airaid CAI & Throttle Body Spacer
RC 3.5 Lift
Diablosport InTune
Dynomax VT Cat-Back System
17" V-Tec Raptor
285/70 Yokohama AT/S
Powertrax Locker is next!!
AZ Rider
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LS 4.8 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adams99z71 » Mar 08 2012, 5:39pm

the only bad thing ive heard about it was from the rock crawling guys but the rocks they were climbing required an air locker so i say the g80 is a great diff.
nbs99 z71 325ci v8, stock 4wheel disc brakes, no cats, flow master classic 40 series, rhino line, custom fog lights, cb, bully dog tunner, 4:10 locker, airbag load leveling, 205,000miles.
adams99z71
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 325ci Z71 ext cab LS
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby RockySierra » Mar 09 2012, 6:25am

The G80s on the 1/2 tons are indeed very temperamental and will not hold up to abuse or "peeling out" all the time. This is a very common issue on the GMT-800s and I am one of the unfortunate ones who had the G80 go out on me on my first truck, a 1999 Silverado 1500 with about 80,000 miles on it at the time. I got the truck used so I'm assuming the previous owner was not too nice to it as I drove it like a grandma, most of the time. The differential shop that did the rebuild said they see on average about 4-7 come in a week with the same problem. This was back in 2004. I had also had a rear end diff service done at about 70,000 miles and no issues were detected at that time. I've seen many posts over on gm-trucks.com over the years of folks who had the same issues.
RockySierra
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500HD 4X4 Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jocko463 » Mar 09 2012, 1:42pm

There is a big difference between the G80 locking rear differential and a true posi-traction differential.

The G80 is for low speed engagement; think trying to haul the bass boat out of the lake up the slippery ramp. This is where the locking mechanism of the G80 engages. The mechanics of the design will only allow the differential to lock up at low speeds (like below 10mph) and release at higher speeds. The system senses how fast the differential is turning and if it is spinning too fast it won't engage so, no , you're not going to be doing any "posi burnouts" in your truck with this system. If you really want to see how it works, type "eaton g80 locking differential" in your fave search engine. Here's one of the YouTube vids that you'll find :

There is no requirement for any special lubricant for the axle. And you won't be feeling any of the ratcheting or noise that a posi-traction axle makes because the differential is not locked permanently. Except for the conditions where it will lock, the G80 operates as an open differential.

The way to test your G80 is to put your truck in a situation like the video ...one wheel on a slick surface. Then slowly begin to accelerate and don't just tromp the gas pedal because the G80 won't engage ...just take it slow, the slick wheel will spin a bit then the G80 will lock both axles and you'll move out.

I have this option on my truck (by the previous owner) and it does work pretty slick.

Mike
Last edited by starspangled6.0 on Mar 09 2012, 8:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added YouTube tags.
I'm not so much a smart guy as a guy smart enough to know how to find out....
'98 Sierra SL Reg Cab Short Bed
'06 Sierra SLE Extd Cab Short Bed

Support American Manufacturing and American Workers:
www.usamade.wordpress.com
www.americanmadeyes.com
jocko463
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1998
Extra Info: SL Short Bed
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain