Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

CV Boot nightmare

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  my191145acp 
#1 ·
I am new to this sight so hopefully I have come to the correct forum?

I have a 2004 Sierra 1500 4WD, has a 4" RCD suspension lift and a 6" body lift. When I purchased the truck, all 4 (inner/outer) CV boots were shredded. The seller told me that he had already gone through 3 sets and the shredded ones I was looking at were less than 6 months old. He took it to a local offroad shop to see if they had a solution and they told him that there was too much angle on the front axles, hence shredded boots. They adjusted the torque arms and tried to relieve the strenuous angle but they did not gain much from doing this, the new CV boots blew out within a couple months. Since I have owned it, I went down to Auto Zone and purchased a couple rebuilt axle assembly's and low and behold, I just shredded my inner boots. I do not do much offroading, mostly drive it to and from work so its not as though I am abusing them, there is something going on here that I just don't know how to fix??? My question to you all is this, can anyone recomend a source for HEAVY DUTY CV Boots? I know this is not exactly fixing the real underlining problem but if I could at least find a boot that will hold up I will be satisfied. The truck runs and drives very well, I really dont have any complaints that would justify any extreme changes with my current suspension/lift arrangment, I just dont want to keep replacing boots. Has anyone experienced this problem, what was your solution?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:?:

See less See more
#2 ·
you need to find a lift kit manufacturer that will sell you the front diff drop brackets they sell with the 4+ '' lift kits. this will lower the diff a couple inches to help correct the cv axle angle you gained from lifting it. this is about the only option you have, the spacers they put between the cv axle and the diff axle flange will not be enough to fix your problem if you have enough angle to keep ruining cv axles.

#3 ·
Any fab shop should be able to make you a set of relocation/drop brackets to solve your problem.

Not to sound rude but why the heck would you buy a truck, or any vehicle for that matter that is shredding parts?

#4 ·
Thank you for the response, both of you. Just a little background in response.........

1) The suspension lift was manufactured by RCD, its a pretty good kit overall and it appears to have come with the diff drop bracket.

2) Why buy a truck thats shredding parts? First of all it was a deal no one could pass up, (paid 4K, 120K miles, immaculate, 4:88 gears, RCD lift, custom electronic steps, Z71 package, brand new 315/75/16 BFG's, rhino lining and so on)secondly I figured the CV boot issue would be an easy remedy, and its proven to be a bit of a pain. Thought I would reach out to this community for some specific, experienced, advice. Maybe locate an inner heavy duty, split style, CV boot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.