Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Diff fluid after ring and pinion swap

643 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wylie_g 
#1 ·
Getting 4.11 gears installed next week and have a question regarding differential fluid. I plan on running Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear and I know after the break in period that the fluid needs to be changed, so my question is does the initial fluid installed need to be the same as what's going in for long term? I don't want to spend $45 just to drain it 1000 miles later. Also, will the front require a break in period as well?

#3 ·
No, it does not have to be what you plan on using long term but should be a quality lube. Just keep in mind new gears generate a lot of heat in the first 100 miles of use.

It is very easy to damage the differential by loading it before the gear set is completely broken in. The greatest damage results when a new ring & pinion has been run very hot before the gears are fully broken-in.

#4 ·
I did both Amsoil before/after break in just for re-assurance. But any quality 75W-90 will suffice for the break in period! I have 4.11s as well, welcome to the club!

Your front will break in but I don't see the need to change it out since you probably don't use 4X4 very often. I would just let it go. Think about how long it would take to get to 1000 miles in 4x4.

I see your near me in Rock Hill, who is doing the gear swap? If you dont mind me asking.

#5 ·
I may go ahead and put the Amsoil in so there's no mixing of different fluids. I'm really looking forward to having some 'get up and go' back in my truck.

I was thinking that the front wouldn't require a break in period since it's not in 4wd often.

There's a guy up in Taylorsville NC that does alot of gear swaps for the company who installed my lift (RIDES of Conover).

#6 ·
I went ahead and ordered a G2 Brute diff cover for the cool factor and to get a little more fluid in there. I can't find anything stating how much more capacity the cover holds and I need to get my fluids bought. Does anyone know how much diff fluid to use with this cover, or a similar cover, installed? And just for confirmation the front diff takes 2qts, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.