jQuery not supported.

Grinding in drivetrain

Grinding in drivetrain when backing uphill

Grinding in drivetrain

Postby SteveT99 [OP] » Dec 02 2010, 1:50am

Alright, I have a 1999 Silverado, 5.3 with the auto trans, the truck has about 215000 miles, synthetic oil changes every 3k, a couple months back when I was backing up into a driveway with a lightweight trailer (less than 1500lbs) and heard a grinding noise coming from what sounded like the area of the trans. I took it to the dealer, they kept it a week, dropped the trans pan, no debris, no debris in the differential, and could not find the noise. I'm not noticing any debris in the engine oil either. Fast forward a couple more months, and I'm backing up a fairly steep hill with no trailer and no load in the bed, and I hear the grinding noise again. I am able to recreate the noise only when backing up a fairly steep hill or on a hill when holding the break and accelerator, or when backing a trailer up a driveway threshold. Again I took it to a differant dealer, and two days in they can hear the noise, but not isolate it. I had them check the motor and trans mounts, and they were good, any other ideas? The noise doesn't happen any other time when driving, even up steep mountain passes with a 3000lb trailer..

Thanks,

Steve
Original Poster
SteveT99
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Drivetrain knock. Help!   Ghosts in my Drivetrain.   would like drivetrain explanation please   drivetrain problem please help   Drivetrain Clicking   Swapping 09 Drivetrain for 00   Drivetrain Noise   Damaged Drivetrain Components?   Common Drivetrain Issues - What Are they?   Trans/Drivetrain Data Point   2000 silverado drivetrain problem   Drivetrain Rattle Scatch Marks?!?!?!   Need a Drivetrain Guru to answer a few questions :)   Changing drivetrain fluids for towing 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Grinding in drivetrain

Postby lzn197 » Dec 02 2010, 2:38am

So it has to be in reverse?
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby katjar503 » Dec 02 2010, 4:15am

It takes at least 2 components to get each gear 1st gear and rev have one same clutch. The rev input clutch can only be the noise if it is in the trans. I don't think it is in trans. I would be willing to bet money it is a exhaust shield or tin cover loose some where underneath
transman
katjar503
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Dec 02 2010, 4:27am

katjar503 brings up a good point. It may be a loose heat shield. If so, it would likely happen at the same RPM every time. Basically, the vibration of the engine at a certain RPM can cause the shield (or other component) to vibrate or rattle. My last truck had a heat shield that did this at 1750 RPM in 2nd gear, and only after the truck was fully warmed up. It was worse on a hot day.
If you can get under the truck, you may be able to identify it by trying to move things around (be careful if the engine/exhaust, etc. is warm!).

Good luck!
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Dec 02 2010, 7:10am

My colorado did the same time..abour 1900rpms in 2nd gear when accelerating slowly..drove me nuts lol...good luck and if there are no metal shavings in ur trans pan or oil filter i wouldnt sweat it
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SteveT99 [OP] » Dec 04 2010, 7:41pm

Checked the heatshield, doesn't seem to have any issues, wondering if it's something in the differential.
Original Poster
SteveT99
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rkj4243 » Dec 04 2010, 8:10pm

Rear axle or differential would not have any component that would make intermittent noises. They would be more apt to make noise all the time. Another possibility may be your transmission pressure regulator valve "buzzing." That would or could happen sporadically as you describe, and make similar noise a heat shields, etc. If it indeed is pressure regulator valve "buzzing" it is not a major repair or something to worry about.
rkj4243
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SL 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby vandelden » Dec 05 2010, 7:16pm

If this occurs only in reverse and even low gear. There is a Memo about replacing the casting case of the low/reverse piston. Poor quality cast. Your case might have cracked or warped due to heat. Also, maybe the sun shell gear housing has "flared" out, due to heat... Either way if it still operates without change of performance I won't worry until rebuild time. My transmission had that problem and also using the tow switch it will slam between shifts of 1-2 gears.. Finally my 3-4 pack finally gave out at 205,000 miles.
vandelden
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Extra Info: HD2500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SteveT99 [OP] » Dec 06 2010, 2:20am

Yeah, the driveshell cracked and was replaced at about 175k miles, wondering if they half assed it.
Original Poster
SteveT99
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby katjar503 » Dec 06 2010, 2:34am

its not the drive shell.
transman
katjar503
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Topics: 12
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Registered users
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain