Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

How to determine which transfer case I have?

9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Z15 
#1 ·
I am about to change the fluids in front and rear differentials (75w-90 synthetic) and transfer case, but checking on the Amsoil site http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleL ... 20PICKUP+T it shows three different transfer cases - Transfer Case,NVG 261-NP2...GLS, Transfer Case,NVG 263-NP1...GLS and Transfer Case,NVG 246-NP8...SLF.

My manual says GM 12378580 and Amsoil site says "No AMSOIL Product Recommendation" and it looks like I might have the Transfer Case,NVG 246-NP8...SLF/ (based on the GM lube part number) I've been doing lots of reading, here and the internet and now I think I'm more confused. Using the Amsoil Severe Gear® 75W-90 in differentials looks to be what I want, but the transfer case has me puzzled. I have 141,000 miles and I;m assuming none of these have ever been changed, which is the reason I'm doing it

#2 ·
DO you have a push button on dash for 4wh drive? If so then the only fluid that will work in GM AutoTrac II Tranfer Case Fluid, no one makes an alternative..

Like this

#4 ·
Yes no problem with the Severe gear in the differentials.

Thats the GM fluid you need as that transfer case has clutches in it that require a specific fluid. Check locally you may find it for close to the same price....

Since they do not need to use that in current 2007+ models there is no market for a replacement product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.