jQuery not supported.

Installation of B & M rear differential cover model 71502

2012 silverado 10bolt

Installation of B & M rear differential cover model 71502

Postby cso2014 [OP] » May 18 2017, 5:49am

Good morning fellow truck enthusiasts, :) Well I've finally started working on the upgrades on my 2012 silverado. The first thing I did was installed the airaid air intake and a throttle body spacer. I didn't take pictures of those parts because it's a pretty straight forward installation. Remove the factory air intake tube, remove 4 bolts, remove throttle body, install spacer with supplied bolts and put on new airaid intake tube.

Next I installed this B & M diff cover
71502.jpg
71502.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 294 times
71502_3.jpg
71502_3.jpg (49.31 KiB) Viewed 294 times
A couple of tips. Be prepared to do a modification to the parking brake cable bracket that mounts to the 12 pm location of the diff cover. I had to remove it then, using a bench grinder, trimmed down the sides so it would fit in between the fins of the diff cover at 12 pm. Second, the supplied cover bolts are not long enough to secure the cable mounted at 11 pm to the diff cover. I took one of the supplied bolts with me to the hardware store and purchased a slightly longer stainless steel bolt, which worked. The biggest problem I ran into was trimming the bracket for the parking brake cable that goes in front of the diff cover to fit between the fins. If you're working without a lift, it can be a little tricky aligning the diff cover. Just take your time and make sure the re-usable factory gasket is lined up properly. I will take some pics of the intake tube and diff cover installed to post.
Original Poster
cso2014
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 5.3L 1500 6 speed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Installation of B & M rear differential cover model 7150

Postby Waltheraustin » May 18 2017, 2:35pm

I like the rear diff. Throttle body spacers aren't too popular around here but air raid tube certainly is. Both the rear diff cover and air raid on are my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waltheraustin
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 56
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: 5.3l v8 3.73
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CritterGitter » May 18 2017, 2:54pm

your really gonna like having drain plug for quick fluid changes with the B&M cover...
CritterGitter
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » May 18 2017, 3:14pm

Ditch the throttle body spacer. It won't do anything for these motors.

Biggest difference you can make as far as simple stuff is exhaust, intake and tune.
19trax95
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 89
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby cso2014 [OP] » May 19 2017, 7:28am

Hello again and thank you for your responses. I agree with you in that I haven'y noticed any significant difference in the performance of my truck with the throttle body spacer. The unit I purchased was around $50 so I'm going to just leave it on. I forgot to mention that I also drained and replaced the front differential and the transfer case fluids too. My truck has about 35,000 miles on it. According to the factory manual, transfer case fluid change intervals are 45,000 miles severe use and 97,500 miles normal use. Again both very straight forward jobs. The below link is for a video I used as a reference to do the fluid changes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GJSSzlgAmU

I purchased the borla touring exhaust and muffler system, which I'm going to have installed after I finish the rust proofing job. Not looking forward to dealing with the peeling factory wax undercoating. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Original Poster
cso2014
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » May 19 2017, 9:28am

I like that cover. Along with the drain plug, is it extra capacity too? I new car under coated with a company called Ziebart. Included are annual resprays to keep things protected and a guaranty if things start to rust. They have used car programs too. Probably something near you that is similar. There is always the power wash and spraying cans yourself. If you have access to a lift, your golden. I choose my battles and paid for this service to be done and maintained. If it's not too late, return the TBS cause it's $50 you can use on something useful. With your Sequential injection motor, those TBS's don't do anything at all. Air and fuel aren't mixed anywhere near it to see a benefit. Thanks for the tips during install. Have a link to the one you have? Save the shopping around if you believe you found the best price already.
Rockford-Infinity-Kenwood-Sundown-2.5 Leveled-Diff Drop-285/65/18 Toyo OC XT-18x9 MO970 +18-Elite Catch Can-Lamin-X-Airaid jr-3rd Cat Gut-Dmax Ultra Flo Cat Back-Fumoto-Morimoto HID 5500k-Tint Match-GoPro-Bedrug-Leer Cap-Winjet Projector-Diablew 91 Tune
Rambodog
Topics: 38
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cso2014 [OP] » May 19 2017, 11:59am

Morning. I ordered my diff cover on ebay, by telephone. Here is a link to the listings for the cover on ebay. I don't recall the retailer, but I do know it was not Summit Racing. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 02&_sop=15

When I ordered the diff cover, the sales representative gave me like $20.00 off the list price, with free shipping. According to B & M, this diff cover adds .4 quart extra capacity to the differential fluid. Everything I have read online indicates my 2012 5.3l, 6 speed trans, G80 rear differential holds 2 1/2 to 3 quarts max. With the B & M, it should increase that capacity by almost 1/2 quart. Make sure you identify if your diff is a limited slip, or G80 to ensure the proper additive is added. Most good synthetic gear oils have a limited slip additive,but you should follow your manual guidelines.
Here is a link to install the same diff cover on a F**d. Another tip. Follow the instructions for what B & M calls the "load bolts" exactly and don't over tighten them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPfcwHJA20 FYI, there are other manufacturers out there who who make diff covers for my truck without the load bolt technology.
I'm happy with the look and overall performance of my new cover. Here's another link to a different type of diff cover for my truck. https://www.yourcovers.com/diffcover_gm85.php

Thanks for the tips for the undercoating too. Will look into it where I live.
Original Poster
cso2014
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mikewmikew is online! » May 19 2017, 12:16pm

I just installed the PML cover myself. Took about 3 quarts to fill. Didn't measure what I drained out but appeared to be around 2 quarts.
mikewmikew is online!
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CritterGitter » May 19 2017, 1:10pm

Fellas, if you wouldn't mind putting pics up of your aftermarket diff covers.... That'd be great. *no lumberg intended*
CritterGitter
Topics: 2
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182ricka182 is online! » May 19 2017, 1:21pm

2006 Silverado 1500
Corsa DB Catback
RC Keys w/ 4" Blocks
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
55w 5K HID

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182ricka182 is online!
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 127
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain