jQuery not supported.

Knocking noise when slowing to a stop

Knocking noise when slowing to a stop

Postby codyc123 [OP] » Sep 27 2011, 11:15pm

i have an 02 4x4 short box regular cab with the 4.3 and a five speed and when ever i slow down to a stop there is a knocking sound as well and a vibration in the truck, it starts at around 20 and continues to a stop, sounds like its coming from the tranny. also, it doesnt matter whether or not im on the brakes and i cant get it to happen while accelerating. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for any help
Original Poster
codyc123
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  knocking noise   clunking noise at stop   popping noise when accelerating from a stop   Knocking or Popping noise in front suspension   Growling when slowing down   Truck still shaking badly when slowing down. New brakes inst   wiper will not stop   STOP RUST!!!   knocking sound, comes and goes   Knocking After Shut-Off   Trans in 2nd at stop   hard stop problem   2005 silverado 5.3 knocking   Knocking when foot is taken off of gas 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Knocking noise when slowing to a stop

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Sep 28 2011, 9:40am

While this may sound goofy, read it all before you think... Have you had the tires replaced lately? Here is the reason... I replaced my tires on a vehicle a couple years ago and tire guy accidentally let the old valve stem fall back into the tire. This bugged me for a while till I, myself, broke down the tire at a shop I worked at part-time and found the old valve stem. There could also be problems in the front boots that have been known to cause knocking sounds. Just a couple thoughts.
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator (borderline Redneck variety)

Onlyina_Chevy: you've joined back into the Android ranks?
starspangled6.0: can't wait to dump the iphone
starspangled6.0: i was wrong
starspangled6.0: you were right
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 130
Blogs: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado!
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby codyc123 [OP] » Sep 28 2011, 10:35pm

probably not, i can feel the knocking in the shifter also i would think it would be something bigger than a valve stem, thanks for the idea though
Original Poster
codyc123
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Oct 02 2011, 7:43am

u-joints?
1 1/2" Rear Drop........................................................3.73 Posi
Spectre CAI..................................................'Vette Servo Piston
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 41
Blogs: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby graybeard_biker » Oct 02 2011, 8:36pm

the universal joint is what I am thinking.

also a loose flywheel,or pressure plate, & partially broken clutch disc come to mind, even a release bearing siezing up.

for a weird note, this happened on a Toyota truck I thought I had a release bearing siezing up, it would make a couple clunks & a screech when slowing down, turned out it was my idler pulley, & it took several thousand miles until it acted up when I could see to make sure, but it sure acted like the release, never figured out why it never did at stops until many miles later.

Randy
graybeard_biker
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain