jQuery not supported.

Leaking Fluid at U joint?

Leaking Fluid at U joint?

Postby zzeigler82 [OP] » Jul 26 2012, 3:53am

Crawled under my truck today and noticed my U joint might be leaking. (or somewhere around it) There is no fluid or anything on ground but a straight line on the bottom of my truck seems to be spraying out while drive shaft is spinning. No idea what it is or where is coming from. Any help would be great thanks!
Original Poster
zzeigler82
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Leaking Fluid at U joint?

Postby 11 Silverado » Jul 26 2012, 4:08am

If you are refering to the front u joint, it is probably the transmission (think that it is called the) tailshaft seal. It is where the driveshaft goes into the rear of the transmission. Not too hard to fix, just will need to drop the driveshaft and replace the seal.
Flowmaster Force II Duals, Airaid Jr., Tonno Pro Bed Cover, Luvern Mega Steps, Husky Mud Guards, Rear Fender Liners
11 Silverado
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zzeigler82 [OP] » Jul 26 2012, 4:24am

If that turns out to be the problem any tips on the fix? As far as dropping the driveshaft and what not.
Original Poster
zzeigler82
Topics: 9
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 11 Silverado » Jul 26 2012, 4:31am

I have not done it in years, but to remove the driveshaft. There are I believe 4 bolt on the rear u joint that you remove. You can then slide the driveshaft forward a little just to drop it out of the rear u joint. Then you just pull it backwards to remove it from the back of the trans. Just be sure to mark the driveshaft, and the rear u joint, so you install it in the same position. It would also be great to have an extra pair of hands to help hold the driveshaft when you remove, and install it. As far as the seal goes, I am not sure if there are any special tools needed on these newer trucks to remove and install it. Like I said, it has been many years since I have worked on one. Someone else here should see this, and give you more information about the seal remove/install. Good luck with you project.
Flowmaster Force II Duals, Airaid Jr., Tonno Pro Bed Cover, Luvern Mega Steps, Husky Mud Guards, Rear Fender Liners
11 Silverado
Topics: 19
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain