jQuery not supported.

manual transfer case

Re: manual transfer case

Postby BlackZ71Silverado » Feb 10 2013, 8:39pm

hoogiebear wrote:Hey if you find a way to do it I would say go with it I hate the electric you switch it over and it doesn't always go in then you get stuck and you look like you have no idea what your doing with manual when you shift it into 4x4 it's IN!

Doesn't matter what type of shift it is the 4x4 system still works the same. Sometimes you need to move the truck forward/reverse a bit for the 4x4 to properly engage. Manual works the same way electronic does, it has no affect on the 4x4 engaging.
I have had both in different trucks and no matter which type, you had to move the truck for it to properly go into 4x4. If yo uwant a floor shifter, get yourself a Work Truck.
2010 Silverado 5.3 w/Z71 appearance pkg.
CAI tube
MBRP Exhaust
DiabloSport inTune
2" level/3" rear blocks

2008 Silverado 6.0 V-Max
GMPP CAI
GMPP Performance exhaust
DiabloSport Predator
2" level/3" rear blocks
BlackZ71Silverado
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Deep Ruby Metallic
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Manual Transfer Case Advice   Is there a manual transfer case for the 4L80E?   manual transfer case swap?   Manual transfer case shift on the fly   2012 silverado manual transfer case   2005 Silverado 1500 manual transfer case   Manual T-case stuck in 4 high   Need a transfer case   Transfer Case   Transfer case   i have my transfer case apart, what else?   Transfer case swap   Transfer case questions   New issue. Maybe transfer case? 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby TexasZ71 [OP] » Feb 12 2013, 12:54am

Uhhhhhhhhhmmmmm ok so if they work the same....why do manual t case guys never post on here complaining their 4wd doesnt work. And there's 1,000 threads on "service 4wd on the dic" and every single one of those threads are about dudes who have an electronically controlled t case.

1. They are two completely different t cases.
2. One is electronically controlled, one is controlled by linkage from the shifter to the t case

Historically - a manual shift t case has always been more reliable than electronically shifting t cases. Less parts to fix and you dont need a masters degree in electrical engineering to diagnose or fix the problem.

With a manual t case it can either be the linkage, t case itself, or the front drive shaft. With electronically controlled it could be sensors and all kinds of other crap

So in short. No, they are not the same.
Original Poster
TexasZ71
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby crewsn » Feb 12 2013, 4:57am

one of the main reasons i went with the manual transfer case was due to the fact that 2 of my buddies have had multiple problems with their "push button" transfer cases.
crewsn
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 1500 4.8l 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby sammynomas » Feb 12 2013, 5:08am

I used to drive an old beat up 92 three quarter ton with the manual transfer shifter for a work truck and that truck was balls on reliable to put in or take out of 4x4, then my daughter bought a 1500HD with the silly ass push button transfer and it absolutely SUCKED! I kept this in mind when shopping for my current 2500HD. I told the salesman I had only a few requirements, 1)no carpet, 2)manual transfer, 3)extended cab, 4)steering wheel audio controls. Imagine my surprise when he led me over to the EC 2500HD WT that I drove off the lot a few hours later.

Guess my point is that the manual transfer is a bit of peace of mind for me. The crummy electric push button stuff in my daughters truck bit us in the butt several times (especially trying to get 4lo to dis-engage).
sammynomas
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0l 4x4 EC
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby hoogiebear » Feb 12 2013, 6:21am

Yep manual is the way to go I've never had to rock my truck for it to engage either, pull the lever and all four are spinning. To put it simply they are not the same whoever thinks they are needs to look up definitions of electrical and mechanical completely different systems
When some people are "doing work" and such they say "ballin" us truck drivers on the other hand say "HAAAAUUUULLLLLIN!"
hoogiebear
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Extra Info: 1500 WT 5.3l 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby steved » Feb 12 2013, 3:20pm

While the tcase can be manual, the front axle is actuated electronically if I remember correctly?

My 2500 WT has the manual tcase, that was one of my prerequisites also. My reasoning was because the Dodges (talking of the 2500/3500 variety) default to neutral if the actuator fails, leaving you stranded. And although I didn't know if the GM variety did the same; I wasn't going to have the opportunity to find out.
steved
Topics: 37
Extra Info: 2500HD 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users