jQuery not supported.

Manual Transmission swap

I drive an automatic I want to drive a manual

Manual Transmission swap

Postby Roulette [OP] » Dec 10 2010, 12:53am

Whatever the answer is it's way down the road so any answers besides buy a new truck would be appreciated. I drive the 5.3 LMG (active fuel management). Is there a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission to couple with the 5.3? and do I need to kiss my active fuel management goodbye? What about the 4wd? Remote start? I honestly don't know if this is pertinent, but an on-the-column is not what I'm looking for. Please don't judge my inexperience. I'm only 22 and I've labored to excruciating ends for my truck.
Original Poster
Roulette
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 LMG
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Manual Transmission swap

Postby jepics » Dec 10 2010, 1:37am

With all the electronics and computer controls in todays vehicles, I think you would find the job to be time and cost prohibitive (if even possible!) - it is not a simple matter of installing the clutch mechanicals under the dash, new linkage, and bolting up a tranny and appropriate bell housing to the engine, like in old days...

You'd need an appropriate computer to match up the tranny with your engine and run everything right.

I don't know what kind of emissions inspections you have in KY, but it would probably cause major headaches with your annual(?) inspections.

All that aside, I must agree that I seriously miss my manual tranny. I do not like automatics - especially the 4L60E in my Sierra.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Dec 10 2010, 3:38am

I like manuals as well, but the 6 speed in the new trucks is so smooth and seamless, and seems to always be in the perfect RPM/torque range, I could not imagine needing or wanting anything else.
As integrated as these trucks are, I am not sure this is even possible, as Jepics was saying. Perhaps one of our resident mechanics will jump in here...
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby katjar503 » Dec 10 2010, 4:16am

The best way is to find a Donner truck, One that has been totaled with good trans. Start pulling it all apart steering column pedals and computer and wiring. Plan at least 1 week of 40 hrs plus to finish. Good luck
transman
katjar503
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Year: 1999
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Dec 10 2010, 1:33pm

I used to love manual transmission but with stop and go traffic these days, forget about it. You used to get better fuel mileage with them but today the automatics are just as good.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby In2Trux » Dec 10 2010, 1:55pm

I have to agree with katkar503... Find yourself a totalled donner truck, then start the transplant.
Like mentioned earlier. With all the associated electronics, it will be good to have that example beside your trk to copy.
Good luck in your project. Keep us posted on your progress
In2Trux
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 32
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain