jQuery not supported.

Please help! 2000 silverado clutch

Please help! 2000 silverado clutch

Postby xjeremiahx [OP] » May 23 2011, 7:34pm

Hello, I am new to the site.

My dad owns a 2000 silverado, 1500 series, V6, 2WD.

Yesterday my dad's clutch went out. The broken part is in the housing. We called up the dealership and they said $1000 for labor alone!!

Do you guys have any advice or how to guides on replacing the clutch/housing?
Original Poster
xjeremiahx
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 V6 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Please help! 2000 silverado clutch

Postby gmctruckguy » May 25 2011, 3:51am

What is it in the housing, slave cylinder, clutch? You obviously have to remove the driveshaft, transmission shifter, disconnect clutch line, starter, remove the transmission with the clutch housing and then pressure plate and clutch.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby CountryBoy » May 30 2012, 6:23pm

It can be a stressful job if you havent done it before. Just be prepared to get aggravated with some hard to get to bolts. Dont make my mistake, replace it all. Get the clutch kit and the slave cylinder you wont regret it.
CountryBoy
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Always muddy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nortons » Jul 03 2012, 5:45am

I have a 2000 Sierra 1500 with the v6 and a 5 speed, very similar to yours. The hydraulic clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder is a cheap, crappy design of mostly flimsy plastic. The master cylinder is not too bad to replace, worst part is scrunching up under the dash with the sharp edge of the seat rail gouging holes in your back while trying to get at the electrical connector. The slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing/trans case assembly and you can't access it without removing the transmission. It is basically the same stupid design used on Mustangs and I believe, Corvettes for years. If you need to replace the slave cylinder and you have the transmission out, save yourself a big headache and inspect the clutch assembly itself for wear and replace it and the pilot bearing and anything else that even remotely looks worn. Today, when stopped at an intersection with my wife driving, the pedal was pushed to the floor and a "pop" was heard and immediately the clutch pedal went to the floor. The mounting flange on the pedal assembly had snapped off! It is a cheap, flimsy plastic piece, (like the rest of the components), that luckily costs but $80, but is a real pain to R&R. I bought my truck new and I have always been disappointed in the poor "feel', non-adjustability, and the necessity to push the pedal to the floor mat to engage the clutch to allow easy shifting, despite repeated bleeding and 2 replacements of failed master cylinders. I have found no upgrade, no "heavy duty" replacement save for a metal body master cylinder from Advance Auto Parts at $70 that sadly still has a cheap plastic mounting flange. The OEM GM master is around $150 and it too, is cheap plastic and no better than the aftermarket items. I have used both, both failed equally. I sincerely wish that they had used a mechanical linkage, or even a cable on the clutch, for "feel", adjustability, and serviceability. None of the "performance truck" aftermarket suppliers offer anything but OEM style plastic crap. I love this truck way better than the F150 it replaced and I am a Ford retiree. The GMC drives better, handles better and is more comfortable. I'd buy another, but I would still despise the hydraulic clutch
nortons
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 2wd 5 speed v6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain