Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noise in 4x4 - possible problem?

33K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mac0611 
#1 ·
First off let me say I'm well aware that you are not supposed to drive on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive. I'm having a problem when in 4x4 , I could be driving on ice and a bit of snow covered roads while in 4x4 and everything is fine going straight and turning slightly but then If I have to turn into a parking lot or take a turn onto a street when the road is a bit drier I'm getting this moaning and groaning in 4x4 when turning. We have had alot of snow this year in New England and I never noticed this maybe because the roads were mostly always fairly wet everywhere I drove in 4x4 . Also I just had a leveling kit (2" Rough Country) installed and had it aligned and the shop said everything looked ok in the front driveline but I just want to see if anyone had any ideas about this groaning sound I'm hearing.. Ive had 4 other Chevy 4x4 trucks and have used 4 wheel drive on dry roads sometimes when going on and off dirt trails and had the usual choppy turning sometimes when going on dry trails because of the two front wheels turning at different rates when in 4x4 but I never noticed this noise, maybe it's the newer design on theses new Chevys? Truck is an 2007 nnbs with stock 17" wheels. Thanks

#4 ·
Oh that guy said:
Can you say if sound is more mechanical sounding such as CV's/front diff/bearing in transfer case; or more like flexing bushing/suspension groans?
It sounds more like a mechanical noise, could be just the way the truck acts when in 4 wheel and hitting dry pavement and turning... My older Chevys with solid axles up front would be really hard to turn and choppy when using 4x4 on dry pavement but I never heard this growling moaning noise when turning my wheels on those trucks.. Maybe it's just the IFS front end. I owned another 2001 IFS Chevy and can't recall if this ever happened.. the mechanic said he can't find anything out of whack so maybe i'll have to live with it and see how it goes I guess,.. I think I might go to the dealer tommorow to test drive a new 2011 and see what that does..

#5 ·
lzn197 said:
Mine does the exact same thing. It's perfectly normal. If you hear the groan on dry pavement and turn onto soft gravel or ice or snow, it goes away.
Ya that's exactly what it does, I feel like an idiot but I guess I never noticed it before, it sure sounds bad but all is fine in 2 wheel drive. All I can think of is I screwed up the CV joints or worse by installing the leveling kit and driving for 300 miles before getting the alignment.

#8 ·
My truck does it, too. Reminds me not to lock it in 4hi unless there's serious snow on the ground.

#9 ·
Be sure the vehicle is level when you check ANY fluid.. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!! Too many people check fluid levels with the vehicle jacked up in the front or rear and overfill.

#10 ·
I think I might have found the problem. The truck has had a weird vibration in the steering wheelthat I have been noticing along with the noise when turning in 4 wheel drive on not totally snow covered roads. This vibration in the steering wheel is not a shimmy but a vibration at any speed felt on the steering wheel. It's a bit worse when on the highway not big difference from lower speeds but still a bit more. It has never had this in the past. What I have found is that the flange on the axle shaft end on the drivers side front has play in it when I pry against the axle shaft and the bottom control arm. The play is where the flange with the 6 bolts are and right where it goes into the differential tube you can hear it clunk and see it move, I would asy it's about 3/16"+ the passenger side is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.