Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rear diff leaking after fluid change

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Radosonly22 
#1 ·
Hey y'all, I changed my rear differential fluid about a month ago. I noticed it leaking the other day with also oil spots on my driveway. I also replaced the gasket. But why is it leaking? Where did I go wrong? Should I have went around the diff cover with gasket maker to make a better seal?

#4 ·
Did you clean/scrape both mating surfaces really well and use solvent to degrease?
If you cleaned everything up really well(no, or very,very little trace of the old sealant) and still had a leak you may have not used enough silicone.
I always prefer to use a gasket with a little silicone on both sides, rather than silicone only like the factory uses.
Either way you should be fine though if everything was cleaned up.
Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts?
It's not a necessity, but it helps prevent over tightening any of the bolts, which could cause a leak.

Joe

#5 ·
I plan on redoing it this weekend and reusing the oil since it has around 3-4K miles on it. I used Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 in it. I do remember alittle excess of the old gasket on the diff. The sun was setting and I was meeting the family later for supper. But once again it bit me in the butt by being in a hurry. What do y'all reccomend getting the old gasket off? It was stuck on there pretty good and what kind of silicone should I use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.