jQuery not supported.

rear end FIT!!!!

diff rebuild vs whole rear swap

rear end FIT!!!!

Postby abernathyadam [OP] » Dec 29 2011, 10:38am

This is my first time to post in a forum but I need help! I have a 2007 Silverado ex cab with the 4.8 V8 and I think it has the 3.23 rear with around 80,000 miles. Now I am in Afghanistan and my wife is having problems with the truck. It has been making noise from the rear end for a couple months now and the dealer told her it was normal and then she started to get vibrations and took it to a diff guy and he said the rear needed to be rebuilt and the bearings needed to be replaced. Now I am no gear head but I try to be informed. Her guy quoted her up to $4000 to get it all done. Just by looking around online I can't foresee why it would cost so much. Another question is if I go threw the rebuild would it be worth my while to change over to the 3.73. I have tires that are barely bigger than stock and I do a lot of towing would it make that big of a diff. Another thing is I have been looking and I can get complete rear ends from the junk yard for a good price. Is it cheaper/ better just to swap out the whole rear end. Thanks for any input.
Original Poster
abernathyadam
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Are rear end gears the same as front end gears on a 10 bolt   New rear end????   Rear wheels wont fit my 01 1500   rear end noise   Rear end swap   rear end bounces   Rear End Squeaking   Rear End Interchange   rear end poppin   Rear End Woes...   possible rear end issue   Rear End interchange   Help I'm having rear end issues   Rear End Chatter 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: rear end FIT!!!!

Postby Z15 » Dec 29 2011, 4:20pm

$4000 is way to much and never go back there again. The side bearings should not cost more then $75 and it sounds like he is planning on a $3,000 labor bill. Does the truck have a G80? Those can make noise especially in tight turns and slow driving because the axle is trying to lock when it senses a rear wheel slipping as might have in a tight parking lot maneuver or making a "U" turn.

If its a 4x4 truck changing the ratio could get expensive because you also have to change the front axle and then re-program the powertrain control module to reflect the new ratio.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 121
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby starspangled6.0 » Dec 29 2011, 4:25pm

+1 Time to visit a different mechanic! While I try to see the best in people, it seems to me that this sleazebag is trying to take advantage of your wife.

Do you have any mechanically-inclined friends? Maybe you could have them take a listen to it. Like Z15 said, if it has a G80 locking rear diff, those can make noises that are normal, too.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Topics: 300
Blogs: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bsnowden » Dec 29 2011, 4:54pm

abernathyadam I have a 1999 silverado that I just had to put a new rearend in.My spider gears were shot in mine and after about 2 weeks of looking around I found a complete rearend from a 2001 silverado for $250 dollars and did the swap myself.I found the rearend only about an hour away from me.Look on ebay for your rearend I found tons for my 3.73 rearend for around $800 I'm pretty sure you could do the same for your gear ratio. Also check any local junk yards you have. P.S. find a new mechanic because that price is outrageous.Good luck!!!
bsnowden
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 4.8 liter
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby abernathyadam [OP] » Dec 29 2011, 5:24pm

thanks, it is an open diff with no G80. My father-in-law is getting the specs together for me now and I have been spending the last several hours in contact with pick-a-part places around houston. Looks like it is going to be faster and cheaper to swap out the whole rear end sence I am not there to do the work myself. Now I just need to find the rearend I need. houston area/3.73 ratio or 3.23/ and a good price
Original Poster
abernathyadam
Topics: 1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bsnowden » Dec 29 2011, 5:53pm

Also look on craigslist that is where i found mine
bsnowden
Topics: 10
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 4.8 liter
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Dec 29 2011, 7:35pm

I agree, just go with a used rear end. A rear end is one of the few parts I am comfortable with using that is not new or rebuilt. They usually will last the life of the vehicle. I would get one with the same gear ratio and just keep it stock.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain