jQuery not supported.

rear end FIT!!!!

diff rebuild vs whole rear swap

rear end FIT!!!!

Postby abernathyadam [OP] » Dec 29 2011, 10:38am

This is my first time to post in a forum but I need help! I have a 2007 Silverado ex cab with the 4.8 V8 and I think it has the 3.23 rear with around 80,000 miles. Now I am in Afghanistan and my wife is having problems with the truck. It has been making noise from the rear end for a couple months now and the dealer told her it was normal and then she started to get vibrations and took it to a diff guy and he said the rear needed to be rebuilt and the bearings needed to be replaced. Now I am no gear head but I try to be informed. Her guy quoted her up to $4000 to get it all done. Just by looking around online I can't foresee why it would cost so much. Another question is if I go threw the rebuild would it be worth my while to change over to the 3.73. I have tires that are barely bigger than stock and I do a lot of towing would it make that big of a diff. Another thing is I have been looking and I can get complete rear ends from the junk yard for a good price. Is it cheaper/ better just to swap out the whole rear end. Thanks for any input.
Original Poster
abernathyadam
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: rear end FIT!!!!

Postby Z15 » Dec 29 2011, 4:20pm

$4000 is way to much and never go back there again. The side bearings should not cost more then $75 and it sounds like he is planning on a $3,000 labor bill. Does the truck have a G80? Those can make noise especially in tight turns and slow driving because the axle is trying to lock when it senses a rear wheel slipping as might have in a tight parking lot maneuver or making a "U" turn.

If its a 4x4 truck changing the ratio could get expensive because you also have to change the front axle and then re-program the powertrain control module to reflect the new ratio.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 126
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby starspangled6.0 » Dec 29 2011, 4:25pm

+1 Time to visit a different mechanic! While I try to see the best in people, it seems to me that this sleazebag is trying to take advantage of your wife.

Do you have any mechanically-inclined friends? Maybe you could have them take a listen to it. Like Z15 said, if it has a G80 locking rear diff, those can make noises that are normal, too.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Topics: 304
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bsnowden » Dec 29 2011, 4:54pm

abernathyadam I have a 1999 silverado that I just had to put a new rearend in.My spider gears were shot in mine and after about 2 weeks of looking around I found a complete rearend from a 2001 silverado for $250 dollars and did the swap myself.I found the rearend only about an hour away from me.Look on ebay for your rearend I found tons for my 3.73 rearend for around $800 I'm pretty sure you could do the same for your gear ratio. Also check any local junk yards you have. P.S. find a new mechanic because that price is outrageous.Good luck!!!
bsnowden
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 4.8 liter
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby abernathyadam [OP] » Dec 29 2011, 5:24pm

thanks, it is an open diff with no G80. My father-in-law is getting the specs together for me now and I have been spending the last several hours in contact with pick-a-part places around houston. Looks like it is going to be faster and cheaper to swap out the whole rear end sence I am not there to do the work myself. Now I just need to find the rearend I need. houston area/3.73 ratio or 3.23/ and a good price
Original Poster
abernathyadam
Topics: 1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bsnowden » Dec 29 2011, 5:53pm

Also look on craigslist that is where i found mine
bsnowden
Topics: 10
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 4.8 liter
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Dec 29 2011, 7:35pm

I agree, just go with a used rear end. A rear end is one of the few parts I am comfortable with using that is not new or rebuilt. They usually will last the life of the vehicle. I would get one with the same gear ratio and just keep it stock.
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain