jQuery not supported.

Rear Locking differential

Rear Locking differential

Postby ManiacMech [OP] » Jan 09 2012, 10:50pm

I have a noise coming from the rear end of my truck. I have isolated it to the carrier bearings in the differential, however I do not know how to tear down the locking differential. I have tore down many open diffs but never any with lockers. all repair info turns up all dead ends. I have access to Alldata pro and it doesn't tell you how in any way. I need help please. Not sure how much longer I can drive the truck like this.
Original Poster
ManiacMech
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  locking rear differential   Locking differential option on an 02 2500hd   Rear right wheel locking for no reason   locking rear diff - educate me, please   Left rear wheel locking/snapping back into rotation   Rear differential went out   new rear differential   Rear Differential Clatter   2007 4.8 2WD 3.23 rear differential   Front and Rear Differential Gaskets   rear differential noise trouble   Changing rear differential oil   rear differential lube capacity   Problem After Rear Differential Fluid Change 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Rear Locking differential

Postby codysown » Jan 09 2012, 11:33pm

Been a while since I have seen the inside of a GM Diff. but it should be the same with most all the other C clip Diffs.

Open it up and take the C Clips out and then slide your axles out. Not too complicated. Now setting up gears... thats beyond my expertise.
2007 Chevy Silverado LT ECSB 5.3L 4L60E 4x4 4.10 gears
Fat Bob's leveling Kit.
Tinted fronts, Carbon Fiber Emblems,GM factory Bug Shield, Bedliner
Delta Pro box
Replaced door speakers and dead Alpine JL 12"
Black Shorty Antennae.
codysown
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 4x4 5.3L 4.10s
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Rear Locking differential

Postby ManiacMech [OP] » Jan 10 2012, 4:25pm

I understand how to get the axles out by removinf the c clips, its the fact that i cannot dissamble the limited slip unit. When i remove the bolt and pin i am unable to spin the gears to remove them to get the clips out.
Original Poster
ManiacMech
Topics: 1
Year: 2000
Extra Info: K1500 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain