jQuery not supported.

remove tranny fluid

remove tranny fluid

Postby steveyo [OP] » Jan 09 2011, 10:30pm

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 4.8L V8 and my tranny is starting to slip and i need to add some lucas. but there is already just a little too much fluid in it. how do i remove some. is there a drain plug on my truck, or i heard about some fluid puller?
Original Poster
steveyo
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8 V8 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: remove tranny fluid

Postby Angelo118 » Jan 09 2011, 10:42pm

I'm not sure exactly why you would have too much fluid and only want to drain some to replace it with a little bit of an additive. I'd just drop the pan change the fluid and filter and add whatever you'd like to your fresh oil when you change it and just monitor your fluid level. Then viola fresh fluid and whatever else you need.
Angelo118
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Hybrid
Extra Info: 1500 v6 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby steveyo [OP] » Jan 09 2011, 10:45pm

well my tranny is starting to slip pretty badly and need to add a lucas to it to help it out, i cant add it because i have to much fluid in it already... and ive researched NOT to change my fluid completely because an older tranny will run better WITH the grit of the older fluid and if changed i could possibly start having more problems.
Original Poster
steveyo
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tsduke » Jan 10 2011, 1:43am

I may be wrong, but I thought what you say about leaving the old fluid in there was more for tranny flushes, not fluid and filter change.
tsduke
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 52
Year: 2014
Extra Info: SLT Crew 5.3l
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Portmanblaze91 » Jan 10 2011, 2:08am

If it's already slipping that bad your taking a chance no matter what you do. I personally would do a complete fluid swap by forcing the old fluid out with new. Then drop the pan and change the filter. You'll need a few gallons to do this, but I have extended the life of many trans this way.
The concern with only dropping the pan is, your not getting all of the bad (or burnt) fluid out of the valve body, coolant lines, and torque converter, just what's in the pan. There's also a theory that the new fuild cleans the system pushing junk into the valves.

To directly answer your question, there's a plug in the bottom of the pan of my 99' 5.3ltr engine Z71. You could also pick up a vaccum hand pump used for bleeding breaks (multiple uses) or grab a siphon pump from Walmart. They have one that looks like a gas line for an out board eninge.
Good luck!
"Support Search and Rescue - GET LOST!"

Jon
Portmanblaze91
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby steveyo [OP] » Jan 10 2011, 3:13am

well i mean the slip isnt HORRIBLE.... so i think ill add the lucas and see... if it does nothin ill change the fluid... THANKS FOR UR POSTS!
Original Poster
steveyo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jan 10 2011, 3:30am

I also have a suction pump. I use it for changing oil in my boat. I can suck the oil right out through the dipstick tube. Something like this would work for you.
Is it possible that the slippage is due to it being overfilled?
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Portmanblaze91 » Jan 10 2011, 3:41am

Got one of those too. Handy as all hell! For some reason I remember that being a little spendy for a small job as this one? I've had it forever so I'm sure they're cheaper now.
"Support Search and Rescue - GET LOST!"

Jon
Portmanblaze91
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 7
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby lzn197 » Jan 10 2011, 1:49pm

steveyo wrote:and ive researched NOT to change my fluid completely because an older tranny will run better WITH the grit of the older fluid

Oh brother. Where do people come up with this stuff?
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby steveyo [OP] » Jan 10 2011, 3:28pm

i dont think it has to do with it being overfilled.... when it started to slipp i checked it an it was actually too low. and Izn197 i've actually read alot about that, NOT saying its true. im no mechanic.. do you say i should change the fluid?
Original Poster
steveyo
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain