jQuery not supported.

Service 4 Wheel Drive

Re: Service 4 Wheel Drive

Postby ASTE25 » Feb 10 2013, 11:06pm

As much as I hate to say this, it's a GM, not an asian vehicle. In my experience, you can not beat the quality of the asian vehicles (as a whole).
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Feb 12 2013, 2:22am

Boucher187 wrote:Another week and another issue with my 2009 GMC Sierra. Bought pre-owned 6 months ago and has been at the dealer and my shop 6-7 times. Today was the first snow storm I was going to takethe Sierra out in . I put it in 4Hi and got an error message on the dash. Will not go into 4WD at all. I can't take it anymore. If this isn't covered under Power train Warranty I may be saying goodbye.

Let us know how this handled by the dealership. Please send a DM with your VIN#, name + contact information, dealership, situation, and current mileage if would like to contact us privately. I hope this is taken care of quickly for you. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Service 4 Wheel Drive

Postby vader33 » Feb 12 2013, 2:11pm

Similar problem happened with my father-in-law's truck. Pull the TREC fuse (it's under the hood) and wait a couple minutes and reinstall it. I read the TSB on this and sometimes the Transfer Case Control Module goes into "sleep mode" and won't wake up. Resetting the TREC fuse should wake the TCCM and you should be good to go. If not, you could have a faulty TCCM like we had, or your electronic shifter panel is faulty. Do you have lights on the shifter panel indicating what position the 4wd is in? If so, the transfer case actuator could be bad. Hope this helps.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
vader33
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: White Z71 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Boucher187 [OP] » Feb 12 2013, 2:25pm

Is there somewhere I would be able to see where the TREC FUSE is located so I can pull it out? I am going to try that ASAP.

I have lights on the KNOB and they are working fine. When I engage it into 4WD the light just Blinks and Blinks and then I get the Service 4WD Message. I hope that the FUSE will resolve. I bought the truck new (with 50,000 miles) in June. I never used the 4WD so I hope that that fuse did "Go To Sleep" ...
2009 GMC Sierra SLE (Crew Cab) | 5.3 L, 6-spd | 3.42 Gears | AFM
OEM Molded Mudflaps | TriFold Toneau
Original Poster
Boucher187
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 6-Speed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vader33 » Feb 12 2013, 5:05pm

I didn't realize until now you have an 09 (been using Tapatalk). I believe in your truck it's just the fuse for the transfer case. That's all I could find in your owner's manual, anyway. It's fuse #67 in your manual, it's a J-case fuse. Pull it and if the lights for your 4WD go out, that's the right one. If so, take it out and reinstall it after a minute or two. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to take it to the dealer and have them pull the code. Auto parts stores can only pull engine codes ( aka "P" codes). This particular code is proprietary to GM and is called a "C" code.

But hang on a sec. If when you turn the knob to go into 4Hi or 4Low it just blinks...what gear is your shifter in? In my 04, to shift from 2Hi to Auto 4WD and vice-versa, I can be in any gear. But to go from 2Hi to either 4Hi or 4Low and back again, I have to be in NEUTRAL. Otherwise, the lights on my shifter panel (mine's push button) flash just the same as yours. Not to sound like a d-bag, but are you engaging the 4WD correctly?

It's not the fuse that goes into sleep mode, but the module that controls the 4WD. But I'm thinking that the fuse isn't the case, but the actuator itself. I'm not sure where it is on the NBS Silverados and Sierras. On my 04, it's mounted to the front diff. Try the fuse first, but I'm willing to bet if your lights are on and "no one's home" then the actuator is likely the culprit. Keep us posted.
vader33
Group Membership:
Registered users

Service 4 Wheel Drive

Postby vader33 » Feb 13 2013, 2:04pm

Any updates?
vader33
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Boucher187 [OP] » Feb 13 2013, 2:16pm

My truck is currently getting the Doors Painted for a Rust Issue. (I know I know a lot of issues) and once I get it back from the body shop that is going the work I am going to do what you suggested in your previous post. I am going to call the Body Shop today and see when it will be done. Thanks for the great information on the codes and location. I hope to be able to look at it Saturday (I'd like to pick it up Friday night) - but again that depends on when the truck is painted.

When I turn the knob into "AUTO" or "4Hi" I am always in motion. The lights blinks for about 1 minute and then I get the message "Service 4WD" ... That is where this all originates from.
Original Poster
Boucher187
Group Membership:
Registered users

Service 4 Wheel Drive

Postby vader33 » Feb 13 2013, 2:40pm

I'm willing to be there's nothing wrong with the 4wd at all. Even ford and dodge have the same interlocks now on the newer models where you need to be stopped and in neutral to shift into 4H or 4L. I really hope it's just a little "operator error" and nothing serious.
vader33
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Boucher187 [OP] » Feb 13 2013, 2:54pm

vader33 wrote:I'm willing to be there's nothing wrong with the 4wd at all. Even ford and dodge have the same interlocks now on the newer models where you need to be stopped and in neutral to shift into 4H or 4L. I really hope it's just a little "operator error" and nothing serious.

I hope to god that you are right. This is my First 4WD. So I should put my transmission in Neutral and then Switch the KNOB to 4WD? Should I try this while at a stand still. or while moving? Whats the best ways to see if this was in fact my error.

Attached is the NOB selector that I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Original Poster
Boucher187
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Boucher187 [OP] » Feb 15 2013, 8:04pm

So I did get my truck back from the recent paint job. Came out good. I was able to try some scenarios for the 4WD issue. I put it in "N" and also did other scenarios in case it was in 4L last. I got to 4HI with no error message but I ended up getting it and it is still not in 4HI or AUTO. I took it to a muddy spot and thought I'd get 4HI. I got a little stuck. Engaged 4HI and got the "Service 4WD" message. I waited for that to go away, then put in "N" and then 4LO and was able to get out. I then parked, put it in "N" and out of 4LO. I am still not able to get into 4HI or AUTO. I am going to take it to the dealer tonight. This should not happened with a 30,000 truck. I don't want to get stuck in a storm and "MAYBE" not have 4WD. Frustrating to say the least.
Original Poster
Boucher187
Group Membership: