jQuery not supported.

Service 4 wheel drive warning

Warning Light messages

Service 4 wheel drive warning

Postby jdbellamy [OP] » Jan 29 2012, 5:02pm

Hello, I am new to this forum, and not much of a mechanic. I have a question and if anyone can give me the answer it would be greatly appreciated. I have an 07 Silverado 4x4, very nice truck, I love it. Just yesterday when I got in and started it up, I noticed that the drive selector was in auto, and a message on dash read "Service 4 wheel drive". I have never seen this before and it kind of worried me, I then tried to turn the 4 wheel drive knob to put it in 2 wheel drive, but to my amazement, it was already there, so I tried to turn it to 4 wheel hi, 4 wheel low, but the indicator did not change, no matter were you turn it to it stays lit up on auto....any suggestions from anyone? Thanks.
Original Poster
jdbellamy
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: SS
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  service 4 wheel drive question   Service 4 wheel drive light after radio install   Service Brake System Warning   Service airbag warning light   service air bag warning light?   2006 Silverado SERVICE AIR BAG warning fixed   1 Month old truck, "Service Airbag" Warning illuminated   4-Wheel Drive   4 wheel drive disengaged?   Auto or 2 wheel drive   3 wheel drive problems   full time 4 wheel drive????   2 Wheel Drive Levels/Lifts   Manual not clear on shifting into 4 wheel drive 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Service 4 wheel drive warning

Postby swervin36swervin36 is online! » Jan 29 2012, 5:49pm

Your accuator may be going bad. Had the same problem with my Avalanche. For a temp fix shut the truck off and restart then run the the transfer case through all the gears then put it back in two wheel drive. If it keeps doing it then have someone look at it. I let mine go too long and it eventually got my transfer case. The problem is, there is a shift rod sticking out the side of the transfer case. The accuator is attached to it and it rotates the rod when you change modes. There is also a sensor in the mix that tells the computer what position the rod is in (2wd, 4HI, 4LO). If the sensor doesnt know what position the rod is in then that will also cause the problem. For what ever reason I went through 3 of them on my Avalanche. Hope this helps.
swervin36swervin36 is online!
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 5.3L V8 CrewCab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: Service 4 wheel drive warning

Postby meyereth » Jan 29 2012, 6:11pm

i had the same problem in my truck and i had a bad transfer case encoder sensor. but for a quick fix i just shut my truck off and waited a few seconds and then turned it on and it would go back to 2wd drive.
meyereth
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain