jQuery not supported.

Stabilitrak service light

Postby Bueshy [OP] » Jul 31 2012, 8:49pm

I just recently put 285/70/17 and a 2in leveling kit in front and since then I've noticed that its like the transmission doesn't know what gear to be in and then today the stabilitrak service light came on for the first time. When I restarted truck it was off. Did the increased tire size mess with something and is there any way to shut off the stabilitrak without havibg the traction control light remaining on? I really don't have any use for it

I have noticed that it only happens when I'm leaving the rig and it has been sitting in the heat all day. Gotta love south Texas. But as soon as I shut it off and restart its fine
Original Poster
Bueshy
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bigredchev » Aug 01 2012, 4:47am

If you changed tire sizes you need to have the computer recalibrated for the new size. Any dealer should be able to do it, or I think there are some tuners that can access that function. Different tire sizes will mess with the and and stability control because they are calibrated to calculate things based on the tire size. Ps having the computer recalibrated for the correct tire size will adjust the speedometer reading also.
Bigredchev
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Stabilitrak service light

Postby Bueshy [OP] » Aug 01 2012, 12:22pm

That's kinda what I was thinking. Called the dealership and it's gonna cost me $200 for them to recalibrate the system cuz they have to get some program and blah blah. I might as well buy a programmer for a little bit more and get all the other benefits. But I was just making sure that it was the tires and not something else. Thanks
Original Poster
Bueshy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby travisd » Aug 01 2012, 1:38pm

If all for tires are the same size, the truck shouldn't care about the actual size. Usually it's when you get to a non-square setup (different heights F-R) that it messes things up. (I'm talking about the "problems" here, not the speedo reading incorrect).

Based on the transmission issues, It really sounds to me like one of the speed sensors is messed up. That feeds a LOT of other systems, including the transmission control. My wife's Saturn recently lost the VSS (wiring issue) and it would drive, but shifts were lousy (fill firm, all the time) and it manifested itself on the DIC as a problem with the Electronic Power Steering!

I would start by checking all of the sensor wiring - the wheel sensors and any sensors going to the transmission, transfer case, and diffs. Check for exposed or chafed wiring, and proximity to hot things like the exhaust.
travisd
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Ext 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby oldsaltydog » Aug 01 2012, 2:18pm

There is a issue with a sensor,most likely stabilitrac measures revolutions I would check the sensors and have someone scan the truck for a code. My old trail blazer did it when it was freezing out or really hot I just let it reset when I restarted the vehicle till I traded itin on my truck it was bone stock.
2010 Silverado LT Z-71 Diablew Tuned
Victory Red 2500 HD Hood/Grille Swap
18x10 Diamo's Cooper StMaxx 35 inch tires
RCX 4 inch lift zone 3 inch body lift

1996 1500 w/t
oldsaltydog
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 65
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bueshy [OP] » Aug 01 2012, 3:02pm

Could anything that has been done to the truck have caused this? And would it be something to take back to the tire place and say they messed it up or is it something that could possibly happen while going down rough dirt roads? Thanks for your guys responses

And if it is a speed sensor issue then why does it only happen at the start when hot and then reset when vehicle is shut of then turned back on? It's not constant at all. Just trying to figure it out lol
Original Poster
Bueshy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Aug 01 2012, 3:25pm

Bueshy wrote:That's kinda what I was thinking. Called the dealership and it's gonna cost me $200 for them to recalibrate the system cuz they have to get some program and blah blah. I might as well buy a programmer for a little bit more and get all the other benefits. But I was just making sure that it was the tires and not something else. Thanks

A friend who is GM tech says that they can download stock tire calibrations but if the tire/wheel size it not stock then GM charges them a fee to give them that calibration. They have to hook up your truck so GM can read the VIN and then download it from GM if they approve. This is just hearsay in his general explantion of the process.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 132
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby travisd » Aug 01 2012, 3:38pm

Bueshy wrote:Could anything that has been done to the truck have caused this? And would it be something to take back to the tire place and say they messed it up or is it something that could possibly happen while going down rough dirt roads? Thanks for your guys responses

And if it is a speed sensor issue then why does it only happen at the start when hot and then reset when vehicle is shut of then turned back on? It's not constant at all. Just trying to figure it out lol

If something was marginal - loose connector, almost-broken-wire, then either of them could have caused or aggravated the issue. A stray rock being kicked up could have damaged something. Or a squirrel. Damn Squirrels.

If it's intermittent, it could be fine most times, but fail briefly while driving. Usually when those things fail like that, they want to get your attention rather than quietly "fixing" itself. At the same time, if it's "fixed" then restarting will clear the alert until it happens again.
travisd
Topics: 1
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Ext 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilveradoZ-71 » Aug 01 2012, 3:38pm

Before I spent 200 at the dealer for them to recalibrate tire revs I would buy a tuner and do it! Then at least you would have a tuner!?
2008 Silverado LTZ , Bose, Nav, intune, cai, flowmaster, led lighting, 3.5" lift, 20x10 moto metals, 275/65/20 bfg's, lineX
86' K10 SWB 327SBC
SilveradoZ-71
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 32
Year: 2008
Extra Info: Crew Cab LTZ Z-714x4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Bueshy [OP] » Aug 01 2012, 3:43pm

Well I just climbed under the truck and checked all connections and wires. Everything visually appears to be good. In a week I will be back home and I will investigate it more thoroughly. There are no codes being thrown as the CEL never has come on. And I ordered a diablo intunes this morning lol should be there by the time I get home and I'll let you know if changing the tires size changes anything. Thanks for the input guys
Original Poster
Bueshy
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next