jQuery not supported.

torque converter shudder

torque converter shudder

Postby kinneyb [OP] » Apr 01 2011, 7:04am

Me and a buddy of mine are having a similar problem and i would like some opinions on fluid to use, techniques, and brands of filters to change the tranny fluid. I have 99' silverado 1500, 2wd, 5.3 4l60e transmission with a split drive shaft and a G80 rear diff. he has the same just a 00', both around 120,000. i am getting a shudder at about 15-24 mph on acceleration and his is about 40-55, i believe from other forums we have a break down of tranny fluid and that is creating the torque converter shudder. Any other suggestions? we both have replaced the center support bearing on the drive shaft already. helped but didnt solve.
Original Poster
kinneyb
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 2wd 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Related Topics  What torque converter should I get?   Torque converter unlocking   trans overheating after new torque converter   cam upgrade and torque converter?   MAJOR TORQUE CONVERTER ISSUES   torque converter and shift solenoid   2000 Silverado Torque Converter Bolts - please help   13 inch monster torque converter any good?   Torque Converter won't lock-up on highway   knocking sound (flexplate or torque converter??)   Torque Converter/trans issues at high speeds?   transmission shudder   Engine Shudder   Transmission shudder towing 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: torque converter shudder

Postby lzn197 » Apr 01 2011, 12:40pm

I seriously doubt it is converter shudder. If the fluid is "Spent", the same fluid applies your clutches. Does it do the shudder on acceleration as well as coastdown? Would it do it with the engine off and transmission in neutral while coasting down through the problem speed? Have you checked the U joints? Has it been lifted? Are your transmission and engine mounts ok? Did you check to see if you have a bent axle or driveshaft?
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby kinneyb [OP] » Apr 01 2011, 4:21pm

Thank u for the reply. The truck is not lifted, checked the ujoints, drive shaft looks too be strait using a yard stick to check. The engine mounts and tranny mounts are secure. It only happens at acceleration and when the throttle is feathered at those speeds. Not on coast. Tried it in neutral but not with the engine off.
Original Poster
kinneyb
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 2wd 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby thaforce » Jul 20 2011, 3:54am

I am having the same issue. Mine seems to do it mostly in overdrive. When the engine RPM's are low and the truck is in overdrive you can make it shudder by giving it a bit more gas, but not enough to make it shift into another gear. It also seems to do it on hills on the highway. If I downshift manually, or give it enough gas to switch gears it is smooth as glass. It has me wondering if overdrive is starting to go out of my transmission.
thaforce
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L Short Box
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rottie » Jan 13 2012, 1:49pm

kinneyb wrote:Me and a buddy of mine are having a similar problem and i would like some opinions on fluid to use, techniques, and brands of filters to change the tranny fluid. I have 99' silverado 1500, 2wd, 5.3 4l60e transmission with a split drive shaft and a G80 rear diff. he has the same just a 00', both around 120,000. i am getting a shudder at about 15-24 mph on acceleration and his is about 40-55, i believe from other forums we have a break down of tranny fluid and that is creating the torque converter shudder. Any other suggestions? we both have replaced the center support bearing on the drive shaft already. helped but didnt solve.

The only torque converter shudder I've ever experienced has always been on takeoff when you first start to apply throttle. Your problem sounds more like the converter trying to lock up. I know there is some argument against flushing, but I've always flushed the trans on my used cars after I buy them and have always had good results. I used to buy used police crown vic's and these were notorious for TC shudder and the flush eliminated it every time.
'08 Silverado LT, 3.5 RC lift with 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs and MB Stryker wheels
Flowmaster 40 exhaust, Airaid Jr. CAI, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
15% tint, Line-x, rear wheel well liners and Smittybilt bull bar and nerf bars.
Rottie
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby katjar503 » Jan 14 2012, 12:47am

If you are having transmission problems and think it tcc chater this may help. Go to sonnax.com and click on tech library. Very good info on the site.

Just want to add most torque converter chatter you here about is when the lock up clutch is appling. You can rule this out by taping your brakes lightly when you have the chatter. If it goes away its the torque converter or wear in the valve body.
transman
katjar503
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby ccrane » Jan 14 2012, 6:27pm

I just dropped the trans in my 2000 Sierra. I just used an after market filter, but I wanted to warn you that there are 2 filters for the 4L60, a shallow pan and deep pan. Make sure you get the correct filter. Check and compare the two in the store, because the auto store I bought mine from insisted I has the right filter, I asked to see both and sure enough someone put the wrong filter in the wrong box. The deep pan filter has the same profile but is thicker, and the shallow pan filter is thin, but you can see the difference easily. If you have a deep pan, it should have a step down at the bottom. I read, I think on a different site, of someone installing the wrong filter and the truck would not shift right. I put DEXRON VI fluid in mine, its expensive but I've heard good things about it. I have heard of guys using other ATF fluid but I didn't want to stray from GM specifications.
ccrane
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3L 4wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2012z71 » Jan 16 2012, 2:19am

You DO have shudder. I have used Lubgard platinum for a long time and it stops the shudder dead in its tracks . It has worked for me and my customers EVERY TIME . $10 fix.
2012z71
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby thaforce » Feb 01 2012, 2:19am

An update on the status of my "shudder". I had not owned the truck very long when I first noticed the symptoms. The problem ended up not being with the transmission or torque converter at all. I was having a misfire issue, but not severe enough to throw an engine code. I did a basic tune up to the vehicle, new plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter ect. and the problem is gone. I would have definitely lost a bet on the solution to the problem, but read of others having a similar issue. I figured for no more than a tune up cost, it would be my first step to troubleshoot the problem. There ended up being 2 plugs that were pretty loose and one wire that looked good, but fell apart in my hands when I went to replace it.

Since the tune up the Silverado hasn't missed a beat and no longer seems to bog down on the hills at highway speeds.
thaforce
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L Short Box
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Feb 01 2012, 3:53am

It is common for people to think that a small misfire is a transmission problem. They will often cause the transmission to shift at odd times.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain