jQuery not supported.

trans pan drain plug disaster

trans pan drain plug disaster

Postby heavychevy1/2 [OP] » Dec 25 2011, 12:26am

tried removing plug 15mm 6 point just stripped took pan off and got a vise grip on bolt end and 15mm on bolt head turned both after heating with torch. it caught on fire was wondering if there is a fubber or plastic gaket there. also on the inside there is a huge nut over an inch is this welded to pan or can you unscrew it to ge tthe drain plug out? didnt wanna break it off and havre the pan be useless. my fluid was real dirty so i wanted to be able to take the drain plug out down the road and put in fresh fluid without taking off the pan and worrying about the gasket sealing or not
Original Poster
heavychevy1/2
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 z71 4wd 3 d
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: trans pan drain plug disaster

Postby wheeler82 » Dec 25 2011, 1:04am

yeah there i do belive there is a rubber gasket...i think usually its part of the plug...and the nut on the inside should be welded to the pan so i wouldn't try taking that off..you can try soakin the bolt in pb blast or some sort of penetrating lube, and if its rounded to good your gunna have to just keep trying with the vise grips. I know they make some sort of special sockets for rounded bolts, im sure someone else will chime in on here with some advice. Kinda rare that a drainplug there is siezed on there so tight??
wheeler82
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.0 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby heavychevy1/2 [OP] » Dec 27 2011, 12:42am

i been all over the internet they use locktite from the factory so they dont come out and the nut is shallow so its even easier to strip. i believe you that that interior nut is welded on. what a pain, guess the best thing is to weld a nut onto it then use pipe wrench thats for the reply
Original Poster
heavychevy1/2
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 z71 4wd 3 d
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2003Z71 » Dec 27 2011, 1:49am

It's funny (strange) there hasn't been more posts than this. Every truck I've had to change the tranny fluid on, my dad's 2000, my brother's 2001 GMC, my 2003, and my two work friends, both 2003's have had the plug installed so tight at the factory that you strip the head every time. I thought I was just an idiot, (the jury is still out on that :lol: ) but after 5 trucks have done the same thing I don't feel so bad. It's like the factory line worker is tightening them to 150 ft lbs instead of inch lbs! I have had success in drilling the center of the bolt head and using a Snap-On easy out, or as of late the Craftsman damaged fastener sockets work well. Once you go buy a new plug from GM, and torque it to about 15-20 ft lbs. I've changed my trans fluid 3 -4 times since and have never had any other problems.
Recon LED cab lights*AirLift Bags & Compressor*Edelbrock IAS Shocks*ReadyLift Leveling Kit*K&N CAI*Smittybilt Bars & Bumper Guard*MagnaFlow Cat Back
2003Z71
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 40
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L RegCab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wheeler82 » Dec 27 2011, 2:41am

yeah i did mine in my old truck,..( allison) and never had a problem loosening it, but its entirely possible that someone else got to it before i did..i bought the truck with 39k and thats when i changed it over.. ive never climbed under my new truck to even see if the trans has a drain plug..i hope it dose though..it makes changeing it allot less messy!
wheeler82
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z71Silvy » Dec 27 2011, 3:03am

My 2011 has no plug, from the sounds of this post I can't decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing haha

Z71Silvy
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 22
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Z71 5.3 4x4 Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wheeler82 » Dec 27 2011, 3:37am

yeah if yours don't im sure mine don't, i didn't know they even put them in half tons...cause if i recall my 05 didn;t have one. Kinda wish it did, but oh well just means gettin a little more messy changing trans fluid..lol
wheeler82
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Dec 27 2011, 4:29am

I know this wopn't help now, but, I found the ones I tried to remove were really tight like yours were. I normally just take a 1/2 inch impact gun and hit it just enough to get it budged, then remove it by hand after that. If I remember correctly, I think they have a rubber gasket between the plug and pan (it's attached to the plug).
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby wheeler82 » Dec 27 2011, 4:40am

Hey ASTE25...what year did they quit doing the drain plug in the half ton? Or did they? like i said i havn't looked on my 2011 cause i havn't been under it yet...but i couldn't recall if my 05 had it or not.
wheeler82
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Dec 27 2011, 4:44am

I'm not sure if they got rid of it or not. My 05 has one. That's the newest one I've worked on so far. I know the older ones (01 up) have them too.
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain