jQuery not supported.

Shift problem no 3rd or 4th gear

shift prob

Shift problem no 3rd or 4th gear

Postby christruck [OP] » Jan 25 2011, 9:20pm

rebuilt trans had no prob for a month then no 3rd or 4th intermittently always shifted in less then 1/4 checked all grounds and pins all look good wired harness to trans shifted fine. prob not in trans? put in used vcm still the same. yesterday no shift for 1 mile pull over unplugged harness at trans 2nd with shifter in 1st or 2nd and 3rd in 3rd or D just as it should be again not in transmission? HELP! ps no codes scanner reads comp. is comanding solenoids also wired lights to top of trans harness into cab lights operate correctly even when no 3 & 4
Last edited by Austin on Jan 25 2011, 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tried to make it a little more comprehensible, not sure if I was successful.
Original Poster
christruck
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1998
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.0 vortex 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Shift problem no 3rd or 4th gear

Postby jepics » Jan 25 2011, 9:47pm

Christruck,
Lets see if I understand. You either had your trans rebuilt or a rebuilt one put in a month ago. After a month, gremlins started showing up:

3rd & 4th gears would work sometimes, other times not.

You checked all the wiring, pins and plugs and all look good.

You put in a used vacuum control module and that didn't change anything.

When you drove a mile yesterday, it didn't shift at all - just stayed in 1st? You unplugged at the transmission end with the shift lever in various positions to see if it made any difference and it didn't?

I am surprised it is not throwing any codes. There's got to be something loose or screwed up in the wiring. Did you say you wired lights to the commanding solenoids to test if they are being activated by the computer? And the solenoids are active even when it doesn't shift into 3rd or 4th?

I would guess there are electronics in the tranny that are not working right.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby christruck [OP] » Jan 26 2011, 1:19pm

these trans have no vacum modulator,i changed the computer.the thing is i wire up a new harness to just the solinoids apply batt + to the solinoids and ground the negs at the correct time going down the road all shifts all gears,so the electronics in the tranny are working.with the harness unplugged its in 3rd as it should be.if it was the trans it should still be having a problem with harness unplugged
Original Poster
christruck
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hartski » Jan 26 2011, 1:32pm

Maybe a pinched or broken wire somewhere in the harness? If you've had major work done to it recently, I know how bad wiring harnesses get in the way of things....
in omnia paratus
Hartski
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby christruck [OP] » Jan 26 2011, 1:39pm

with lights wired to the solinoids at the top of harness plugging in at trans lights work as they should which would mean prob in trans,ugplug harness now in 3rd. i had it rebuilt, tranny shop says not there problem. unplug harness 2nd manually with shifter in 1 or 2 and 3rd in3 or D no prob with trans.all this works as it should
Original Poster
christruck
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Jan 26 2011, 9:01pm

What kind of warranty did they give you on that trans work, Chris?

Most businesses' first line of response is - "we didn't do it". Problem is they know more about what they did than you do, and they want you to prove it was something they did.

I wish I could help more, but automatic transmissions are not an area I know much about.

Let us know if there's any further developments
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Topics: 51
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby katjar503 » Jan 29 2011, 4:31pm

you said you can shift the trans by power and grounds, and it works right? Then you plug it in and the trans doesnt shift but the lights say that the power from the truck is right? If im folowing you right i would remove the lights and see what happens. I think you have a broken wire by conector somewhere after your test lights.
transman
katjar503
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Year: 1999
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby gmctruckguy » Jan 30 2011, 6:02am

I agree with katjar503, electrical issue not in the transmission. Start checking wires for continuity, could be an intermitant somewhere in the harness where it has a bend in it since it has been moved around when transmission was R&R'd.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain