Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Transfer Case noise 2500 HD 4x4

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  djlove 
#1 ·
New Silverado owner, I have a '02 silverado with an Allison 1000 and 6.6 Duramax. My question is I had a small noise, sounded like a brake hanging up(sounded like light tin at first) now it has gone to a grind/chattery noise and sounds like its coming from the transfer case. Noise increases with acceleration and occures in 2wd and 4wd. I had work done about a year ago and the guy replaced the pump, seals and shift fork. Now i'm starting to question the pump or keeper tab. I'm lost and not sure where to start. Any Help is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
Yeah. It started as a light rattle and now its a lot of chatter almost sounds like its rubbing/slapping against the inside of the case. I also noticed that it kicks into neutral when in 4th and 5th. Once you let off the accelerator it goes back into gear.

#4 ·
I think a tranny shop would be your best bet since you seem to have two problems there. The 4th and 5th gear may be just a solenoid but they would def know that. If you have a good shop they could also tell you if the TC needs new bearings and possibly press new ones in for you.

Seems like you do alot of towing so they may be able to recommend some upgrade kits. Doesnt hurt to ask a few places. If you want to upgrade a rebuild is smart, if you have a major problem but dont want to mess with it you can get TC and tranny pretty redily.

#6 ·
Dropping into neutral under Acceleration or Deceleration could still be from the Transfer case. If it is from the the Transfer case it is normally a symptom of a bad lo/hi clutch component. Something like the hi/lo shift fork spring is broke, shift fork wear pads are wore out or hi/lo planetary gear thrust washer has excessive wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.