Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Transfercase noise in a 2012?

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  steved 
#1 ·
I have a noise in my transfercase, never notice before because this is the first time I drove at highway speeds in 4wd.

Its a drive/coast noise, but absolutely quiet at "float"...sounds like a bad bearing or a badly matched drive gear/chain. Its causing no vibrations, but its loud enough to hear outside with the windows down. It remains until the front axle disconnect releases...in 2wd, absolutely no noise. I have owned several 4wd trucks with chain drive cases, and none have had a noise like this (at most a high pitched whine). This is almost a grumble, low pitched whine.

I don't think this is normal. Thoughts?

#4 ·
Highway speed is ? 55mph +-?

Its not a wise idea to drive very fast in 4wd, thats what AUTO is for. If you loose control in 4wd you will have a hard time gaining control with the front wheels locked in. Also, because of the speed it may be putting a lot of stress on the driveline and causing it to bind up and could account for the noise you are hearing.

Driving on clean, dry pavement in four-wheel drive for an extended period of time can cause premature wear on the vehicle's powertrain. Do not drive on clean, dry pavement in Four-Wheel Drive for extended periods of time.

#6 ·
I have owned 4x4 for over 20 yrs and live in upper Michigan near Lake Superior and we average over 200 inches of snow a year so I have many years of experience driving on snow and ice covered roads.

PS - I have driven tens of thousands of miles on snow covered roads and really never needed to have it locked into 4 wd once moving.

#8 ·
steved

It was not my intention to chastise anyone, I was merely trying to explain that driving at highway speeds in 4wd puts a lot of stess on the drive line components. Sorry if I offended you.

#9 ·
Your concern is certainly understandable regarding the noise issue. If you feel there is a malfunction occurring, please see your dealership to see if any issues are occurring. Keep us posted and if you take it in, let us know. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, contact information, situation, current mileage, and dealership information. I hope all is well considering.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

#10 ·
Verdict = "normal" noise, the newer transfercases are noisy. They said they have several trucks that make it...really?

I find it funny how a 2012 chain drive transfercase, very similar in design to the one's Dodge used in their 2500 since 1994; can be this noisy. None of the many Dodge units I have owned ever made this kind of RACKET, including low tech ones from the 70s and 80s. A slight whine, yes. A grumble with a clicking, no.

#11 ·
Z15 said:
I have owned 4x4 for over 20 yrs and live in upper Michigan near Lake Superior and we average over 200 inches of snow a year so I have many years of experience driving on snow and ice covered roads.

PS - I have driven tens of thousands of miles on snow covered roads and really never needed to have it locked into 4 wd once moving.
For the record, I have traveled every state of the US, in every season. I grew up in the snow belt of PA..and I've been driving well over 20 years.

I probably have several hundreds of thousands of miles on snow covered roads...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.