Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Transmission Filter

523 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ASTE25 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been referring to this website for years for good solid advice, so I'm hoping someone has some for me on this.
I've got an 05 Silverado 1500 5.3 with 127k miles on it. Runs like a top, shifts great, all original minus some knock sensors, brakes, a hub and a few suspension parts. It's about due for another transmission fluid and filter change though and before I start it, I was wondering if it's really necessary to change the filter with every fluid change? I've read where some guys say that the filter doesn't need to be changed because the transmission is a closed system and there shouldn't be anything in there to catch except in the event of transmission failure where it will catch metal fragments and prevent them from doing a whole bunch more damage. Now on this next change I was planning to drop the pan and replace it (it got boogered up by a stump a few years back, no leaks, just a little few dents in it) and change the filter since I'm already planning to replace the pan. The question is should I go to a pan with a drain plug built in and on future services just drain and replace and not worry about the filter? That would sure make it easier to do in the future. I also plan on draining 3 times over the next few weeks after dropping the fluid to freshen it up a bit, so I will likely use a pan with a built in drain plug anyway, but I'm wondering if I should plan to do another filter at 180k (Haynes Manual says fluid and filter every 60k). What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Change the filter while you have the pan off. I'd try to get a pan with a drain so it will be easy to drain next time, not so you don't have to change the filter. Get a good quality gasket (felpro of GM) because the ones in the filter kit will leak every time. There is about 12 quarts of fluid total in the transmission. Dropping the pan will drain about 5 quarts. I see no reason to do subsequent drain and fills after the initial one you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.