jQuery not supported.

Transmission Fluid Change

Power Flush or Drop Pan?

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Postby country1911 » Oct 25 2011, 1:45pm

I have a very similar truck that I just changed the tranny fluid on. It was not easy, but not difficult either. With some patience you can slide the pan between the exhaust and the tranny filter. The linkage bracket was a bigger pain in the behind for me. I just bent it out of the way after I got tired of messing around trying to remove it.

All in all it took about an hour and a half, not too bad.
country1911
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 41
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: LTZ 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Transmission Fluid & Filter Change or Not?   Transmission Fluid/Filter Change - 6L80E   How to change Transmission fluid/filter on 2011 Silverado   Fluid change   Diff Fluid Change   when to change 4WD fluid   Complete Tune-Up/Fluid Change   Finally did Transfer fluid change   Fluid Change front to back   Fluid change, going from Dexron III to VI   Transfer case fluid change   Best time for Tranny fluid change   Rear Differential Fluid change   looking for advice on 6L80 fluid change HOW-TO 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby 6Sixathome » Oct 25 2011, 2:18pm

Anyone done this on a '08+?
Image Bilstein 5100's, Signal mirrors, ADVENT OGM1, CS-GMTR1B rear view camera,
BBP tuned, AIRAID Jr. with SynthaMax Dry Filter, RX Catch Can, 2014 SIERRA 18" Z71 wheels
6Sixathome
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 58
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: CC 1500 5.3 V8 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby AzDragonLord » Oct 26 2011, 11:56am

I dropped the pan on my '09. My first time ever performing transmission service, went fine once I removed the linkage.
Last edited by starspangled6.0 on Feb 06 2012, 6:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above you. It's redundant. Just use the quick reply button instead.
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.
AzDragonLord
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 29
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3L FlexFuel
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 6Sixathome » Oct 26 2011, 12:23pm

Did you have to fight the cross pipe to get the pan off the filter?, and what did you mean by removing the linkage? just unbolting it or?
Image Bilstein 5100's, Signal mirrors, ADVENT OGM1, CS-GMTR1B rear view camera,
BBP tuned, AIRAID Jr. with SynthaMax Dry Filter, RX Catch Can, 2014 SIERRA 18" Z71 wheels
6Sixathome
Topics: 58
Extra Info: CC 1500 5.3 V8 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby AzDragonLord » Oct 27 2011, 11:48am

Yes, unbolting the linkage slowed me down a bit...had to buy a new torx bit and since it was facing up I had a little trouble reaching it. I didn't have any real issues getting the pan off after that.
Last edited by starspangled6.0 on Feb 06 2012, 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above you. It's redundant. Just use the quick reply button instead.
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.
AzDragonLord
Topics: 29
Extra Info: 5.3L FlexFuel
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby SLCCHEVY » Feb 02 2012, 2:50pm

I was planning on doing this, I guess I need to get under there and see what is involved in this process.
Last edited by starspangled6.0 on Feb 06 2012, 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 Blue Granite Metallic
Mods: 2" Rough Country Level Kit, Wheels: 20x9 +18 offset Ultra Goliath Tires: 285/55/20 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
SLCCHEVY
Topics: 9
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Extra Info: LT 1500 Crew Cab 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby steamer » Feb 02 2012, 3:31pm

Hi Guys, I thought I would add my .02 centavos here, I have 50 years of preventative maint. experience from Initiating it in the USN in the early 60's to 20 years field service PM's on Caterpillar heavy equipt. in the field, I've learned something new everyday, First, Unless a transmission was designed to be backflushed I wouldn't do it, Backflushing a transmission would only put the impurities back where they came from, also, there is a reason for no drain plug in the tranny, the magnet needs to be cleaned when the filter is changed. Hope this helps, Ed
steamer
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Extra Info: ECSB 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SLCCHEVY » Feb 06 2012, 5:42pm

So are you saying these systems are meant to be back flushed because there is no drain plug?
Last edited by starspangled6.0 on Feb 06 2012, 6:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 Blue Granite Metallic
Mods: 2" Rough Country Level Kit, Wheels: 20x9 +18 offset Ultra Goliath Tires: 285/55/20 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
SLCCHEVY
Blogs: 1
Extra Info: LT 1500 Crew Cab 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Glens09 » Feb 10 2012, 12:14am

Well... Guess I'll add my 2 cents worth. I believe in the value of flushing auto trans. BUT I also believe in the value of doing it correctly. In my case that means taking the vehicle to a trans specialty shop. Some things I've learned:
1) Never back flush. Always "forward" flush. Start the truck, put it in gear, and let the truck's pump push the fluid out.
2) ALWAYS drop the pan first and replace the filter. You don't want to "flush" dirt, metal, and other assorted debris through the system.
3) Obviously, keep filling the system with clean new fluid as the truck pumps out the old. This is why I go to a trans specialty shop - they have the knowledge and equipment to do this correctly.
I do this EVERY time I take our Corvette out on the track and have never had a problem with the trans. The truck has it done every 30,000 miles "just because."
I know my experience is my own and others may not agree with me. But this is what has worked for me for the past 40 or so years of driving.
Best wishes.
Glen
Glens09
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby quickdrraw » Feb 10 2012, 1:50am

Do you suggest doing a tranny fluid change with someone who has done it before? I have never done it but i don't consider myself mechanically retarded. I have basic experience but i'm trying to teach myself so I can truely know my own vehicle.
"Before I close my eyes I fantasize I'm living well, but when I wake I realize I'm just a prisoner in Hell" -Tupac Shakur
quickdrraw
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Blogs: 9
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3 EXT CAB
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen