jQuery not supported.

Transmission fluid change to Synthetic, now problems!

Postby Mak25 [OP] » Nov 12 2012, 6:35am

Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum, awesome site. Been doing some searches on the transmission fluid change I just did, got some helpful tips. But I ran into some issues after doing mine. I just bought the truck used, heres the info on it

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (Crew, 4x4)
5.3L
4 speed automatic electronic (4L60E)
68,000 miles

So being somewhat of an anal person, I decided to go through it and check all the fluids & change what I thought was neccessary. I changed out both difs with Amsoil SG 75w-90 (found this info on here, thx). Then decided to do the Transfer case & Tranny fluid change (gasket & filter pan drop). So I find out there is no drain plug on pan, WTH. Also, the shifter bracket is in the way & a pain to get off. Ok, getting back on track, change filter & gasket, fill pan with 5 qts as manual states. I used Vavoline Dexron VI full Synthetic. Take her for a test drive & everything seems ok except when I floor it, it wont shift into 3rd. It revs up then down slightly, at about 4-5k rpm. Then when I let off, it will go into 3rd. tried it multiple times and same issue. Tranny was warmed up when I did this, about 160+. It shifted fine when driving it easy. I go back home & check level on dipstick & it looks way overfilled. it looked almost double of where the full is on the Hot hasmarks. So Im thinking its overfilled, loosen pan & drain out to reach full on Hot hashmark. attempt to put into R & it wont engage. Crap, now its too low, fill it back up, guessing on where to fill to. I add about 1 1/2 qt and it engages in gear but seems to be rough when going into drive & reverse. its over the Hot hashmarks like before. I add some more, after calculating what I took out & put back in. I put in about 4 1/2 qts total, so according to manual once again, Im about 1/2 qt low. I know I sound like a rookie here, But Im not. So now Im wondering if the Synthetic fluid is too thin for this type of transmission, even though I have read about others experiences with Synthetic & it seems to be what a lot of guys are going with in their trucks. So maybe 3rd gear in my tranny is starting to go & now with fresh fluid in there, Im noticing it more. Now that Im thinking about it, I want to say there was a tiny hesitation into 3rd before but not sure, I have only had the truck for a week. IDK, what do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Original Poster
Mak25
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LT2 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Differential and transmission fluid change   Transmission Fluid & Filter Change or Not?   Transmission Fluid/Filter Change - 6L80E   How to change Transmission fluid/filter on 2011 Silverado   Synthetic oil change?   Fluid change   when to change 4WD fluid   Diff Fluid Change   tranny fluid change   Fluid change, going from Dexron III to VI   Finally did Transfer fluid change   Change break fluid on a budget?   Transfer case fluid change?   Fluid Change front to back 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby Machster69 » Nov 12 2012, 12:29pm

Lots of variables here! I say get the fluid level right and get it to GM and hooked to a scanner to see the pressures.
Machster69
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 103
Blogs: 8
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE 2wd
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Re: Transmission fluid change to Synthetic, now problems!

Postby Z15 » Nov 12 2012, 1:00pm

I don't think your problem is the fluid. You done something, did not replace the shift linkage or trans filter properly or possibly got a bad filter. 5 qts is what it should take to R & R the trans filter.

everything seems ok except when I floor it, it wont shift into 3rd.

Was it ok when you did this exact same thing before changing fluid? Or is this the first time you been flooring it and it won't shift?

You can overfill these pans by about 1/2 qt + and it should NOT affect trans operation, its a sump. I done that before and drove and never had a problems. Too little will cause shifting problems though. The main reason they warn about not overfilling is safety, over filled it can expand (all atf does), foam (poor quality atf) and puke out the fill tube, hit hot engine parts starting fire. GM trucks had the problem in early 90's, they redesigned dip stick with lock.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 117
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Mak25 [OP] » Nov 12 2012, 6:00pm

Thx guys for your replies. I pushed the shift linkage all the way forward til it clipped in the mount. Now if it wasnt all the way forward, wouldnt it not shift into the proper gears? The filter felt tight in the ring assembly. So if its a bad filter then at an higher RPM, maybe its not providing enough fluid? So what do you do once you have replaced the gasket & filter & have the pan back on, do you fill 5 qts and then check everything or put less & add if needed?

Was it ok when you did this exact same thing before changing fluid? Or is this the first time you been flooring it and it won't shift?

Yes, it seemed fine, I kind of remember a possible slight hesitation going into 3rd. It def did not do what I described here.

Should I get a new filter/gasket & more fluid & change out again, this time really taking my time or take it to the dealer? The dipstick was really throwing me off.
Original Poster
Mak25
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wheeler82 » Nov 12 2012, 6:20pm

Is it setting any check engine lights off Mak? Just curious too if you ran it through all the gears after you changed the fluid before you took it on a test drive, not that it problly mattered too much i always do that when i change mine.
wheeler82
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 13
Year: 2012
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.0 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AZ Rider » Nov 12 2012, 6:54pm

I doubt it's the tranny fluid doing this. I just serviced my tranny (4L60E) about 19,000 miles ago with the same fluid (Valvoline) and had zero issues. Your truck is still within the 5 year/100,000 mile mark for the warranty, take it to the dealer that you can trust (if that's at all possible).
2010 Silverado Crewcab LS 4.8:
Airaid CAI & Throttle Body Spacer
RC 3.5 Lift
Diablosport InTune
Dynomax VT Cat-Back System
17" V-Tec Raptor
285/70 Yokohama AT/S
Powertrax Locker is next!!
AZ Rider
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Extra Info: 1500 LS 4.8 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Machster69 » Nov 12 2012, 7:04pm

Z15 wrote:You done something, did not replace the shift linkage or trans filter properly or possibly got a bad filter.

This
Machster69
Topics: 103
Blogs: 8
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE 2wd
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Nov 12 2012, 7:09pm

Valvoline Syn ATF is 2nd only to Amsoil for tranny fluid quality. It's not the fluid. I agree with the others. Probably just something out of place.
You are under warranty, but you may still have to pay the dealer if something got messed up. If you are lucky, they'll just take care of it for ya.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Mak25 [OP] » Nov 13 2012, 2:20am

So today when I drove it, it would not hesitiate when driving it easy. Moderate accerleration, it slips & hesitates into 3rd gear which I didnt notice that much yesterday. Under hard accerlation, it revs up & down like its hitting the rev limiter, same as yesterday. So I took it to a friends Tranny shop & he said there is a def issue with 3rd gear. He suggested a reputable GMC dealer, so I took it there. I was able to recreate the problem on the test drive with the Tech so they are going to tear into it and figure out whats wrong.

So long story short, it was nothing I did wrong. Thank goodness truck is still under factory warranty. I will find out exactly whats wrong soon.

Thx again guys for your help/input. I really appreciate it.
Original Poster
Mak25
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Nov 13 2012, 2:41am

Please be sure to let us know what they find, and what the fix is. We're interested in the outcome.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain