Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Transmission leak- can someone help identify? pic

914 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  masterem88 
#1 ·
I think it's coming from that round plate, what is that?

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like engine oil leak . Could be from rear main seal or rear main cover. If You pop off the larger bellhousing cover on the bottom with a pick or pocket screwdriver you can stick you finger inside bellhousing of trans and feel back towards trans and see if its wet with trans fluid. (With engine shut off and truck cooled down cause it gets very hot)Also take paper towel and put a little fluid from dipstick of engine and trans to compare color and darkness to oil that leaking if you cant seem to find leak.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
So I can take off this plate? And when I do, it's supposed to be dry in there? If it's motor oil, it's a rear main leak? If it's trans fluid, it's ???

#7 ·
Well I'm pretty sure it's trans fluid,so maybe a input shaft seal. I'm guessing the tranny would have to be pulled to fix? Would it be wise to add a good tranny leak stop or should we never add that stuff.

#8 ·
If its wet inside that cover putting your finger back towards the trans. It can be front pump seal. Pump housing gasket. Leaking through pump bolt holes. If its any of these it would usually be a decent leak. Like you could let it run and have it drip every minute atleast because of pressures in pump. Motor oil leaks are what we see thats a very slow leak. Typically a trans front leak is usually a stream of fluid pouring out . Pan gaskets and shift arm seals are some trans parts that are more of a very slow leak but not leaks from the front of trans .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.