jQuery not supported.

Transmission rebuild options

Postby BlackDragonGT [OP] » Dec 31 2011, 8:21pm

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado, 4x4. Not sure what engine is in it, it was my late father-in-law's, and now it is my wife and I's. Recently the trans went out; it has no reverse, 2nd or 4th gear. From what I've read, I'm guessing the sun shield or whatever it is called has broken. So, here are some questions.

Could this part alone be replaced, or should an entire rebuild be done?

Are all replacement sun shields the improved design that won't break like the original, or is there a specific kind that is an upgraded design?

Are there any other parts in the transmission that are prone to failure, and are upgradable?

I have possibly found a person that will rebuild it for $400, but I'd like to save as much money as I can, due to some serious financial issues I won't get into. I've never rebuilt a transmission before, but I'm fairly handy mechanically. Would you guys recommend me trying to rebuild it myself? Or would the cost of the parts and the special tools needed be comparable to the $400 price the person has offered?

What is the name of the transmission, 4L60E?

I think that's all of the questions I have.

Thanks for reading, and for any help.
Original Poster
BlackDragonGT
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Transmission rebuild options

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 01 2012, 10:29pm

If you have never rebuilt an automatic transmission before, I would not reccomend starting on a 4L60E. If you do decide to tackle the project I would go through the whole thing, and not just replace the broken sun shell.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby TheoLP62 » Jan 02 2012, 7:07am

$400 bucks doesn't sound bad at all . . . what kind of waranty? (if any) Also check out the cost of rebuilt trannies and see if they have a core trade in for yours, that could be a better option that will have a waranty
04 Silverado Regular Cab 4x4
FireMedic (reads fire me dic)
TheoLP62
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 03 2012, 4:09am

It may not be cheaper, but, it would be a lot faster to just buy a remanufactured transmission and install it. You will also have the added benefit of a warranty.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby gmctruckguy » Jan 03 2012, 5:33am

Yeah it's the reaction sun shell, either it broke or splines stripped. It would be a good plan to replace the sun gear also. It's not a hard job if you have done it before, but never have opened one up I wouldn't recommend it. You don't have to overhaul the whole thing, pretty much just the pan gasket, valve body gaskets, pump gasket and o-ring and the sun gear and reaction sun shell is all the parts you should need. Don't forget to change the filter while you have it out. I used to be a transmission tech for GM and I would have it R&R'ed and sun hell changed out in about 4 hrs. Mind you I was good at my job. Lol. Good luck.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby BlackDragonGT [OP] » Jan 05 2012, 6:44am

Would I need any special tools to replace the things you mentioned above? Where's a good place to buy the sun shell and sun gear?
Original Poster
BlackDragonGT
Topics: 3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 05 2012, 6:53am

I'm not contradicting what gmctruck guy said to do, because he has actually rebuilt these for a living; however, if it was me and I had it all apart, I would go through and just rebuild it all. He may be able to tell you where you can get parts cheaper than this, but I have bought a few things from these people: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/700 ... s/7422.htm
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby puppeteer » Jan 05 2012, 8:48am

Why not just find a local junk yard and pull one then dump the old. minimal tools, low coast, and entry level appropriate.
puppeteer
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 8
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.6 Dmax
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 05 2012, 10:51am

That could be done, but I'd hate to have to redo it right away if the one from the yard is bad. A transmission is not one of the parts I would trust from a junk yard.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby gmctruckguy » Jan 05 2012, 5:40pm

If you read his post he has minimal cash to do this right now, if you want to do it on the cheap all you really have to do is what I stated (under warranty if this fails that's all that was done to your transmission). I'm sure if he had the $1800 a proper overhaul or rebuild would be done.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain