Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Type of ATF to use

129K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Brufab 
#1 ·
Hey,
Want to change the ATF and filter on my 2002 silverado 1500. The manual says to go with Dexron III. Any brands that you recommend? And should i go with synthetic or regular? Bought it used so i don't know what kind would be in it now and im not doing a flush so i would only be changing about 5 quarts. Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
I would remove all the fluid and drop in Dexron VI. I know Valvoline make a Full Syn of Dex VI, but that's going to be the best stuff out there! And it can be used in place of Dex III.

#3 ·
Any GM vehicles that used Dexron III should upgrade to Dexron VI. It supersedes Dexron III which you can still use. You can use whatever brand you want. It would stick with a name brand and avoid cheap store brands/filters etc.

Most synthetics can be mixed with conventional ATF's.

#5 ·
Yes they can be mixed, these guys are correct that you should change to the Dex VI it is a better fluid. Why not flush the system and get it all out. If you have no current concerns and the fluid is in good condition with no burnt odors then now would be the time. If you have very dirty fluid, burnt odors or a silvery look to the fluid then do not change, you will get the broken down clutch material out of the system which can cause problems.

#6 ·
Well i bought the truck used last year has 170,000 miles on it now. Nothing is wrong with fluid or transmission but im not sure what has been done to it in the past. Just from looking at other posts it seems that a filter change is the way to go over a flush.

#8 ·
i had a 96 s10 blazer that had 175k miles on it and i changed the tranny fluid and filter than the damn thing started to slip and act funnny............ i hate messing with trannys lol

#12 ·
zzeigler82 said:
Well i bought the truck used last year has 170,000 miles on it now.
That would probably make me nervous too. Thats a hard call I have always been a if the fluid is good flush it type of guy but with no history at that mileage I don't know what I would do. Keep in mind if there is clutch material in the fluid that is keeping the trans going a flush and fill will eliminate some of that too and could cause concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.