jQuery not supported.

Vibration at highway speed-Diff problem?

Vibration at highway speed-Diff problem?

Postby alkaspeltzar [OP] » Jan 17 2011, 3:01pm

2010 Silverado 5.3L Z71, 6 speed tranny, factory tires ~ roughly 20,000 miles

The truck drives smooth normally. Tires have recently been balance. But there is a roughness or vibration felt through the floor-board at 60-70miles/hour. Any speed above or below this, it goes away. I do live in Minnesota, but I have melted all the snow out in a heated shop, still does it.

The vibration feels like it is in 4 wheel AUTO, but I checked, it is not. I am worried it could be a front bearing, or the rearend suspect of the vibration. Dealer is stumped, and not convinced to inspect the rear end.

Any thoughts or suggerstion would be great so I can help find this. Thank you in advance!
Original Poster
alkaspeltzar
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 23
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Vibration at highway speeds   2007 silverado 2500hd classic vibration on highway   Occasional High RPMs at Highway Speed   Vibration problem   2006 Silverado - Rear Diff / Front Diff Oil Replace   What's best for highway driving?   13mpg on the highway???   Shifting down on the highway   08 4.3 jerking on the highway   shaking at highway speeds   4.56 with 33's highway rpm too high?   Highway wobble issue...   Loud Tick After First Few Highway Miles   po449 and jumping/jerking on the highway 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Vibration at highway speed-Diff problem?

Postby HartskiHartski is online! » Jan 17 2011, 3:31pm

Does it do this on all the roads, or do you drive the same one all the time?
in omnia paratus
HartskiHartski is online!
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Jan 17 2011, 5:16pm

Is this truck stock? No modifications? Not sure why the dealer is stumped. They have the equipment and training to chase down these things but I know they kind of shy away if the vehicle has been modified.Go with the basic checks first. Check the air pressure in all 4 tires. Jack the vehicle up and check for bent wheels or driveshaft. Look for cupped tires.Any rust around the universal joints? Front half shafts ok? Differential lube level ok?That is what I would do. The dealer should have a vibration analysis tool they connect to your vehicle and drive it to see what the frequency of the vibration is. Then with proper training and following the vibration charts that come with the tool, they can pin down potential causes. It could be a tire problem too. I know you checked balance but maybe another check with some high tech tools like the hunter road force test of each tire. What about ice frozen on the wheel? I know you said you thawed it out but you need to double check this. I hope this helps.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby alkaspeltzar [OP] » Jan 17 2011, 6:51pm

YEah, I am forcing to look at all the above.

And as for the ice in the wheels and rims, I checked that agan last night. No ice

Taking it back to the dealer this week, I will let you know what they say. Thanks
Original Poster
alkaspeltzar
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby alkaspeltzar [OP] » Jan 19 2011, 2:46pm

So after some inspection on my own, I have determined it not to be the rear end or drive shaft or anything like that. That is all smooth, and when the truck is jacked off the ground, all that runs smooth. There also is no ice, I let it spend a complete days in the shop, and it still does the vibration on the road

So back to my original posting, where I talked about the vibration. I noticed slight cupping on the edges of the rear tires, could that do it just at just those speeds? Rotating the tires last time didn't seems to make a difference.

Also, the driver side front wheel makes a clunk from time to time when unloaded, could it be a hub assembly going bad? THere are enough ruts and pot holes, wouldn't surprise me.

Trying to have enough information before I go to the dealer. Many times, if they cannot find it or hear it like I do, then they don't want to spend time looking for it either. Thanks for the help
Original Poster
alkaspeltzar
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby In2Trux » Jan 19 2011, 3:30pm

That's a good idea. Go to the dealership prepared. Don't just give it to them and say fix it.
If you don't mined getting dirty... Crawler under, and start grabbing all the moving parts, Push, pull, twist and shake to see if there is any play in anything.
Drive shaft U joints, Axle CV joints, The cupping on your tire could be a concern. If you could try your truck with the spare to eliminate the cupping tire.
In2Trux
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 32
Blogs: 3
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Jan 19 2011, 3:35pm

Just another thought..cause im trying to really think here..have u looked to see if all the wheel weights are on the rim...if they are, are they the correct..I know they said they checked the balance..just trying to think outside the box
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain