jQuery not supported.

Whining noise coming from 4L60E transmission

Whining noise coming from 4L60E transmission

Postby Spiff [OP] » Sep 28 2011, 7:24pm

Hi all, I've got a 97 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with a 4L60E transmission. Pickup has about 130,000 miles on it. For awhile now I've had a whining noise coming from the transmission when it's put in drive or reverse. Park is quiet. Fluid level is ok and the fluid is not discolored. The noise has gotten louder as time goes on but it does seem to quiet down a bit after the transmission warms up. However it does not go away. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm competent enough to remove and rebuild the transmission (even have access to some of the special tools I'd need), but I'd like an idea of what might be wrong. My Brother-in-Law is a mechanic (but not a specialized tranny guy) and he thinks it might be the torque converter.

Thanks.
Original Poster
Spiff
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1997
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.7L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Small whining noise   Engine making a whining noise   Noise coming from vehicle   4l60e transmission swap   4L60e shifting noise   Unusual noise coming from the drivetrain   Tapping noise coming from door   THUNKING NOISE coming from front end   Banging noise coming from front end?   No 1st or 2nd gear on 4L60E transmission   Chevy 4L60e transmission shift at low temps.   Weird metallic "scrapping/ticking" noise coming from engine   transmission noise   Weird noise from transmission area 
Transmission/Drivetrain Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Whining noise coming from 4L60E transmission

Postby boblav » Oct 02 2011, 7:15am

common to have the planetary thrust washer go bad, which is a torrington type bearing. try slowly accelerating letting the trans shift 1-2, does it make noise? does the noise goes away upon decellerating? less damage (less $$) to repair before something lets go!!

this could also be pinion noise from the diff
boblav
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Crew Cab 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Whining noise coming from 4L60E transmission

Postby Spiff [OP] » Oct 04 2011, 12:40pm

Thanks for replying boblav. It does make the noise while slowing accelerating and shifting from 1st to 2nd. As far as I can tell it makes the whining noise in all forward gears as well as reverse. It's a bit hard to tell with 4th because of the road noise. Also it does quiet down during deceleration.

Are you talking about the torrington bearings that support the reaction carrier/planetary?

It could not be the diff as it starts making the noise as soon as you put it in drive or reverse with the brake on.

Thanks much!
Original Poster
Spiff
Topics: 1
Year: 1997
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.7L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain