Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

79 silverado

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hevyrockerdk 
#1 Ā·
I'm new here so hopefully I'm in the right forum for this question. I just bought a 79 silverado and there are a few things I need. I was wondering if anyone knew what other years would be compatible with a 79 so that could broaden my search when trying to find them. ( spedometers, seats, knobs, window cranks, etc. ) Thanks

#4 Ā·
73-80 had the same front ends, 81-87 changed the hood and to a little bit lower profile on the front lip above the grill but yes as stated above basically 73-87. I think these are the best looking trucks GM ever produced, just my opinion. I have an 82' Scottsdale thats still a work in progress but parts are'nt hard to come by. Good luck!

#5 Ā·
Hey 79, welcome to the forum and DRILLMANDEUCE has the right answer here- 73-80 is same body style. 81-87 had a lower profile for the tops of the front fenders and hood. There were minor style changes - interior appointments and so forth - but the body parts, drivetrains, etc were the same over the various models. I think that that is true including the GMC models also. I think that Prior to 73 the engines/transmissions were different between GMC and Chevy.

Anyway, good luck on your Resto. Those are great trucks, I had a 73 LWB with a 454/T400 and a 78 SWB BIG 10 with a 350/T350. Luved em both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.