jQuery not supported.

Difference between Silverado and Sierra

A comparison of the similarities and differences of Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks.
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Difference between Silverado and Sierra

Postby SilveradoSierra.com [OP] » Feb 03 2010, 5:52pm

Likeness, similarities, and resemblances of Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. A comparison of the differences between the two models of trucks.

This article was written in an effort to explain the likeness and differences of these two models of American-made pickups and dive deep in the philosophies behind the manufacturers reasons for producing the similar vehicles as well as their marketing strategy. It is our hope that new information be gained by reading the article. Feel free to respond with your thoughts but please be analytical and support your claims with examples and statistics as well as the facts.

Chevy Silverado vs. GMC Sierra
American pickup trucks have been held at the epitome of the motor brigade where two brands have managed to carve out their very own niche in the motorcar industry. Chevrolet and GMC have been two of the most accredited names in the pickup fraternity where their prized possessions, the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, have been the most renowned models in the market that have seen the likes of numerous truck admirers. Both these vehicles are feature-rich in their own class but at the same time are difficult to identify. The most credulous fact about the Silverado and Sierra is their striking features which cannot be distinguished from each other. On the basis of appearance, the only difference is that of a badge encrusted at the front of the vehicle.

Although Chevy and GMC released these two masterpieces with the same features and designs, they have followed their own individual path towards a marketing campaign. The latest model of the Silverado range has been associated with the concept of being designed for the common pickup driver, where as the Sierra has been associated with a marketing perception of being formulated for the tasteful professional. These two trucks irrespective of the design, which happen to be similar, also share the same bit of similarities in their features and performance as well. While the Silverado is considered to be a more upscale model, mechanically speaking, they are pretty much the same. There may be minute differences in the payload and curb-weight, but they seem to have the same chassis and power-train components.

The Chevy Silverado is designed to be a average mans model which is fitted with an average 6.2 liter engine and a 5.3 liter flex-fuel V8. Most of the V8 models come with a six-speed automatic transmission and 3.08:1 rear axle ratio. The best feature of the Chevrolet is that all its Silverado models come with an electronic stability system except for the V6 models. Add-on features include turn-by-turn navigation, destination download, Bluetooth and NavTraffic for those vehicles which are fitted with an XM Satellite Radio. Overall, the Silverado with its Z83 Super-Suspension makes it the best choice for those that desire to make the maximum of their Chevy. The GMC Sierra on the other hand is not to be left behind as it has a few features that match well in comparison to the Silverado. Weighing in at less than 10000 pounds, the Sierra is fitted with roof-mounted and side curtain airbags, a 10-way powered adjustable seat for drivers and a Bose stereo sound system. Available in the SLT and SLE Class, they are fitted with a V8 which comes with electronic stability control and a five-star frontal test-crash rating.

There are a number of factors that can separate the two trucks in their looks and designs, but yet are minute ones which are solely based upon a buyer’s preference. There is not much of a difference in the price range of the two pick-ups as the new Chevy starts retailing at $19,000 while the GMC starts at $18,500. When it comes towards choosing luxury over performance, the Sierra is the best option. However, if there is a need to maximize the use of the features that come with the Chevy, the Silverado is ones best buy.
Original Poster
SilveradoSierra.com
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 31
Blogs: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Please Explain the Difference in HP   Difference in Lifts   Difference of Oil?   Whats the difference   New Wheels! Major difference   Difference between lift kits???   Difference Between 2013 to 2015   What a difference a day makes   20s to 18s difference in looks?   going from a 5.3 to a 4.8? any difference in power or mpg?   Brand new plugs!! What a difference   What's the difference between these fog lights??   Difference in level kits???   Does a flashpaq really Make a difference? on 08 1500 
Uncategorized Truck Topics Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Difference between Silverado and Sierra

Postby SierraDave » Feb 03 2010, 7:30pm

For GMC vs. Chevrolet there usually is *no* real difference in the actual truck line other than name, minor trim and the only major visual difference, the front end looks. Differences between the Silverado and Sierra are mostly cosmetic. They share sheetmetal from the firewall back and most mechanical and structural elements. Options, engine, chassis, interior and comparable trim levels are nearly identical.

It is interesting that GMC usually beats Chevy in paint quality and overall workmanship since they're made in the same factory. :lol:

They're both great vehicles. I sat in the Chevrolet Silverado recently, its' a great truck, I loved the ride and interior quality is great. But for the most part, it's not much different from my Sierra, the Sierra is simply meant to be taken as a more "work" truck, a little bit more durable interior and different badge.
SierraDave
Contributor
Contributor
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby LonestarEMT » Mar 19 2010, 3:22pm

Where I live, the Sierra is always the more expensive truck. I don't see why. Like you said the only difference between them is trim and the look on the front of the truck. It doesn't seem very cost effective to me to make two different lines of trucks and suvs that are the same. Stupid stuff like this is the reason the morons went broke. They just need to drop a line and incorporate the best features of both into one great truck. If you want a fancy suv, buy a Cadillac. That makes way too much sense which means it is over GM's head. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck.
AIR GOES IN AND OUT,
BLOOD GOES ROUND AND ROUND,
ANY DEVIATION IS A PROBLEM.
LonestarEMT
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 13
Blogs: 0
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Kyle 616 » Apr 08 2010, 3:58am

GMC seems to me to be more of the luxury truck. I see Chevy as more of the work truck.
2002 Chevy Silverado
Z71 5.3L
'03 tailights
glasspack muffler
3 inch exhaust
front off-road lights
Kyle 616
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 RCSB 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cobra19946 » Apr 12 2010, 2:42am

Personally, i think if you are going to buy a truck, it should be used as a truck, unless you have the money to make it into a show truck or if you pull a trailer alot over long distances. then i understand the need for luxury.
cobra19946
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 4
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Reid07 » May 28 2010, 8:55pm

GMC strikes me as more of a luxury tuck, but at the same time more of a heavier duty oriented truck. Chevrolet seems to lack some of the features that are often included in GMC trucks. I may be wrong about both of these but thats just my perception of them. When I bought my last truck I chose a GMC because it happened to be the truck I could most easily afford, with the most features, (04 SLT, Leather interior, CD, auto 4x4, Bose stereo, unique [and stunning] exterior appearanceand the wonderful 5.3L) Any way thats my $.02, and I may be slightly biased, but I have owned an 89 Chevrolet scottsdale 4x4, stepside with a 5 speed and a 5.7L (Loved this truck but learned that sleeping and drivin dont mix and that sliding sideways @75 MPH through the median while sleeping leads to a rollercoaster ride) I would still have that truck if not for the aforementioned incident. Also had a '91 chevy Z71 loved it too but it was giving up the ghost and I gave it up for the sake of fuel mileage (NEVER make that mistake again). So I have owned both, but only just got a newer model. I drove Chevrolet trucks during my search and there was not much noticable difference, really.
Reid07
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z-71 SLT 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Murph » Jun 12 2010, 3:12pm

It seemed like 10 or 15 years ago GMC was really the plain jane truck. It was the boring work truck and kind of little brother to the Silverado. Now I see the GMC as the high end version, I think the badging, the front (grille area), the interior and everything are a little nicer than the Silverado. The Silverado is still a great vehicle it is the true work truck. We drive Chevy Silverado extended cab trucks where I work. We get new ones every couple years. I love it!

Why doesnt Chevy have an answer for the GMC ALL-TERRAIN edition or the Denali edition Sierra....I guess Chevy has the MAX version, which I think is just the 6.0 V8 and I believe that is also what the Denali edition has?
Murph
Topics: 1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby arveejay » Aug 18 2010, 12:54am

If we're talking GMT900's, They are not the same from the firewall back, as mentioned in the article. The lines at the rear fenders are different. The wheel well liners for each are not interchangeable. Although I own a Sierra I would buy a Silverado, as soon as the front end looks like a Sierra.
2014 Silverado Double Cab

Bob.
arveejay
Topics: 9
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 6 speed auto
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Sep 04 2010, 2:25am

I looked at both, drove both, and it really came down to what was available when I wanted to buy - I knew I wanted it to be more than a work truck, had to have an extended cab, 4x4, standard bed and well-optioned; I drove one with an 8 foot bed and it was more than 3 feet longer than my old truck - wouldn't ever fit in my garage!

I liked the front bumper treatment better on the Sierra - IMHO, the big color coded wrap-arounds on the front of the Silverado looked way too clunky to me.

I wanted pewter or tan, gray or silver because they're easier to keep clean. But after seeing your white beauty, Bob, I'm having second thoughts!
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby bowhunter4L » Sep 30 2010, 12:08pm

I've had both and really the only difference with them was the front endAnd the few other cosmetics. But powertrain and axles are the same. And then the other real difference is that GMC was cheverolets industerial truck line.My grandpa work for Cheverolet in their truck divison(GMC). and remember their old saying(GMC) we've always made trucks nothing else
bowhunter4L
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics