Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Looking at some used trucks

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Kev315 
#1 ·
Hello, I am looking at trading in my car for a truck. In my area I have found an 04 with 43k on it and an 07 with 61k on it. Both are ext cab and 4wd. The 04 has the 4.8 and 07 has the 5.3.
I've read about the cluster problems on the 04s and the afm issues with the 07s.
I plan to go see and test drive tomorrow, although I am leaning towards the 07. Any things to look for, consider when testing these trucks?
Thanks for any insight.

#7 ·
at 61k the afm damage has been done. no tuner or range will fix the underlying issue. unless it was deleted early on, there is no saving it and its quite the hassle to get fixed under warranty. what do you plan to use the truck for? commuting? just get the 4.8

#8 ·
Well the 04 has a blown tranny at 43k. They want another 1000 to fix it. I talked to them on the phone but if the tranny is gone I kind of assume the truck has been beat. I looked quickly at the 07, seems in immaculate shape.
How would you check damage done by the afm so far? compression test basically?

#9 ·
600doo said:
at 61k the afm damage has been done. no tuner or range will fix the underlying issue. unless it was deleted early on, there is no saving it and its quite the hassle to get fixed under warranty. what do you plan to use the truck for? commuting? just get the 4.8
thats not always true. i turned my AFM off at 100k and its still good as the day i got it with no noises or oil usage. Never been to the shop for anything. 117k Miles now

#10 ·
Kev315 said:
Well the 04 has a blown tranny at 43k. They want another 1000 to fix it. I talked to them on the phone but if the tranny is gone I kind of assume the truck has been beat. I looked quickly at the 07, seems in immaculate shape.
How would you check damage done by the afm so far? compression test basically?
I would pass on the 04 then.

07nnbs4x4 said:
600doo said:
thats not always true. i turned my AFM off at 100k and its still good as the day i got it with no noises or oil usage. Never been to the shop for anything. 117k Miles now
true, but more often than not people see it start burning oil well before 100k. if you aren't burning oil now chances are you'll never see it burn oil until its actually worn out.

#11 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the afm. I think some do have problems but the vast majority don't. If there turkey was a massive problem gm would get sued over the deal and a massive recall would get pushed out.

What I tell everyone is go with your gun. Purchase the vehicle that just feels right. If you have any reservations walk away.

The other thing that I look at with vehicles is how many are in the junkyard. Look at the Chevy pickups. Not many in the junkyard that aren't wrecked or have a massive amount of miles.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I drove the 07 today and it rides great. He seems pretty firm at 14.5. Its a silverado 1500 classic, work truck, ext cab with 8 foot bed. It fits my needs perfect really. I'm mulling it over a bit but I may pull the trigger on this one.

#14 ·
Kev315 said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I drove the 07 today and it rides great. He seems pretty firm at 14.5. Its a silverado 1500 classic, work truck, ext cab with 8 foot bed. It fits my needs perfect really. I'm mulling it over a bit but I may pull the trigger on this one.
oh, nice. it probably doesnt even have afm then.

#15 ·
Don't think you'll go wrong with that truck. I think the 99-07 classic is about the best truck chevy ever made. Very close to the square body before it. When I bought my o7 I also looked at an 07 classic. Wife wanted me to get the new body style so I went with that but there's something about that classic style that almost makes me wish I would have gotten that truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.