Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

NNBS loud whistle from engine bay (Not wind related)

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Motodeficient 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

The last few days, my truck has developed a loud whistle from the passenger side of the engine bay, sounds like its coming from near the firewall. Hard to tell, but definitely from the passenger side engine bay. It is very loud inside the truck, I thought it was from in the dash, but its even louder if you are standing outside the truck. It doesn't do it all the time. A couple times it did it when I first started the truck when it was cold, but it mostly seems to be when the truck has a slight load on the engine, maybe around 10-15% throttle. If it starts whistling and I let off the gas or give it more gas, it stops.

It sounds almost exactly like a teapot whistling on a stove.

It happens even after the truck is at normal operating temps.

It has been really cold here the last few days, the HIGH temperature for the day yesterday was 3 F. So I think it might be cold weather related, but its still not normal.

My truck is an 09 regular cab V6 with 26k.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#5 ·
Mine has done it every day for the past 3 or 4 days. It has been really cold the last few days like I mentioned. I let my truck warm up for about 15 minutes in the morning, then I have a 25 minute drive to work, but its still doing it even as I pull in to work. Its supposed to warm up next week a little so I guess I will see how it acts then.

#11 ·
Sorry to hear about the car issue. Your concerns are understandable, if you feel this is a non-cold weather related issue you may take it to your local dealership for a diagnosis. If you decide to take us in please let us know. PM us with your name, contact information, VIN number, and what the dealership states.

Armando (assisting Matt)
GM Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.