Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Old Chevy/GMC

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  brenteakins 
#1 Ā·
Okay so I was browsing this awesome thing called the Internet looking for car shows, truck shows, bike shows, bass offs, and you know that sort of things. I stumbled across this site for old vehicles and different clubs/events going on around my area. There I stumbled across a little section called Vehicles For Sale. I thought I will just look to see if anything catches my eye and sure enough my dream ride just sitting there teasing me completely rebuilt.

So my question to all of you out there What Would be your Ultimate Old School Chevy/GMC Truck If You Could Have it Today and Post Pics(if you want) to See How our Worlds may be the same/different.

This Would Be My Ultimate Old School Chevy a 1955 of Course I would do some different things to it so WHAT SAY YOU???!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 Ā·
One of my Upper Classman, first "redneck" to go to a Prep School and Show up with almost the same style Jacked up and Flat Black with a little hint of Chrome here and there Nice Choice!!! I would own one of those as well.

#4 Ā·
1971 GMC Sprint SP454, only 25 with the 454 engine were built and 16 still believed to exist. This was the first year GMC was allowed to build a model similar to the El Camino.

#6 Ā·
Good lord, this is put me in a situation I've never had before at work.....

I've always loved the older ones, particularly the mid-70's already mentioned, though I wouldn't go stepside. I love the '55 as well. My problem would be modifying these, I'd actually prefer to keep those stock.

I'm a young gun, so if I had the choice to modify I'd get another OBS (used to own an '89). These were about as modern as you got before technology started creeping in! Plus I wouldn't feel to bad tearing up a vehicle that was only 23 years old, not yet a classic and there are many more around.

#8 Ā·
All Awesome Ideas the Reason for this topic, just in case someone says this is not Silverado Sierra related, is these trucks are what started our Silverado and Sierras, my opinion, and as I was reading the 15,000 members thread everyone stated that there was a lot of repeat topics, questions, etc. Well this one is;
1) New and Unique
2) Gets a wide variety of us, SS members, gears turning
3) This is for the gear heads, old school, new school, because it has a carb, non eco-friendly guys who just love anything with a motor(to an extent ;) )

That is the reason for this topic it didnt get a lot of hits the first time so I bumped it hopefully it gets some more hits. If you, MODS, feel that this is TOO far away from SS then PM and we can talk. Hope Everyone likes the New Material.

#9 Ā·
rodcheapo said:

I've always loved the older ones, particularly the mid-70's already mentioned, though I wouldn't go stepside. I love the '55 as well. My problem would be modifying these, I'd actually prefer to keep those stock.

I'm a young gun, so if I had the choice to modify I'd get another OBS (used to own an '89). These were about as modern as you got before technology started creeping in! Plus I wouldn't feel to bad tearing up a vehicle that was only 23 years old, not yet a classic and there are many more around.
Was it a good or bad situation?

#10 Ā·
My absolute dream truck would be a 1949 Chevy. I love that classic look that just defines "old." When you think of vintage farming, or the good ol' days in general, you think of the mid 40's to early 50's trucks.

However, I was just given a 76 K10 so I'll settle for that :)

#12 Ā·
I've already got my dream truck. 1967 C-10 StepSide. I was gonna make it a show truck, but i don't have the pateince (SP?) so i think ill just make it a nice driver.

#16 Ā·
happyhourhero said:
Thealien said:
My 1972 Jimmy parked next to my new 2012 Silverado.

It also has a 2005 5.3 FI engine with a 4L60 transmission mated to the stock NP205 transfer case sitting in the stock location.

That jimmy is so beautiful! You do all that engine work yourself? I'm sure that would be a great summer road trip truck.
When I first got the Jimmy it was solid but tired. I had a body guy remove all the molding and exterior tire carrier along with a freshen up of the factory colored paint. It had an old tired 350 with a wiped cam and a 350 transmission through 4:10 gears. It was not a reliable or fun truck to drive, and only got about 10MPG.

I am a member on another forum where a bunch of members were swapping these 5.3 engines into 2wd classic trucks, I was interested to say the least. A crate 350 (or rebuild) and a transmission rebuild was going to cost me $3-5000 even with me doing a lot of the work.And I still wouldn't be getting any better mileage and would still be stuck with old flat tappet technology. I did a ton of research, even wrote a bunch of LS swap info with links and pictures at that forum during my build.

I wanted to keep my NP205 in the stock location. I had 2 fairly new driveshafts and I didn't want to hack up my solid floor. I used some advance adapters parts and mated a 4L60e to the NP205. The 4L60 is about 2 inches longer and it pushed the engine that much further forward creating clearance issues with the front passenger side drop differential. The LS engines and newer drivelines are all drivers side drop. I made my own crossmember and motor mounts. Had my stock radiator reworked to use the original 5.3 hoses. I still have a bunch to do (I finished 3 years ago). Move the battery to the drivers side to use the factory battery cables and airbox. and a few odds and ends.

If someone wanted to do this today Pacific Fabrication in CA makes a crossmember/motor mount set up that works really well.

The bottom line is it was definately worth it and is a depenable blast to drive truck. Its kind of loud on the highway and you would probably go deaf on a long trip. I don't even worry about taking it on 1-200 mile day trips.

#17 Ā·
@Thealien Holy COW So basically you took old school and fused it with new technology?

#18 Ā·
Chevyfamman said:
rodcheapo said:

Was it a good or bad situation?
This was a boner joke....my subtlety appears to have been to much. The '55 got to me.

#19 Ā·
I got the joke didnt know if you had to go clean yourself up :lol: to me thats a Bad Situation the beginning to that situation is just natural :lol:

#20 Ā·
that canadian tire truck is good from afar but far from good..... its pretty rough up close but its cool because its got a dump bed. I worked at this canadian tire for a year as a detailer so i know how rough the truck really is. But I dont know if he ever ended up putting the new motor in it or not ... but yes its pretty cool looking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.