Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

silverado 5.0 vs 5.7

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Scottsdale305 
#1 ·
hey guys, i was wondering how much of a horsepower difference the two engines had, ft pounds of torque? and basically if the 5.0 is a good engine? thanks

#3 ·
Also not sure, and I believe you will find that the 5.7 (350 ci.) for instance, has different ratings depending on their particular application. I also think that the 5.0 and the 5.7 are both good reliable motors and are basically bullet proof. I have owned one 5.0 (85 IROC) and five 5.7's, alll but one of those in trucks or Suburbans.

For Instance in 1988, I bought a Regular Cab Stepside shorty P/U with a 350 that had9:1 compression and was rated at 200 HP. I also had a 1988 Crew Cab 1-Ton with a 350 that had 8.7:1 compression and was rated at 185 HP. Good Luck.

#5 ·
In the TBI applications (<95) both are amazing motors. They have the same design and the only real reason GM made them was to cater the 305 (5.0) to a more daily driving audience, while the 350 (5.7) was meant to be the workhorse. On those applications the 305 had about 165-170 horse and the 350 had 210-220.

This same logic passed onto the Vortec versions, however. The 5.0 I feel isn't as reliable having seen many come through in rough shape at relatively low mileage. The 5.7 is still an unbeatable motor for performance, fuel mileage and versatility. Having very recently getting rid of my 88 TBI 305 and buying a 96 Vortec 350. I am very very happy. Either of those motors will last until your body rusts into nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.