Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

vent valve solenoid tubing removal

23K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  longbeach 
#1 ·
Have 2002 silverado with a 4.3 v6. Trying to remove vent valve solenoid. What is the trick to removing the hard plastic tubing that comes from charcoal canister. There is some sort of locking fitting on each end. The tube is about 1/2" O.D.. I tried squeezing, prying, etc.. No luck and I don't want to break it.

#3 ·
Thanks for that info. But, I believe the newer systems have a tube/hose that is heat shrunk on. My year has a tube with a fitting similar to the fuel connection fittings, but larger. The hose will move back and forth but I cannot figure out the secret code to release the lock feature on the fitting....

#4 ·
picture of the connector?

From the manual
Evaporative Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement (Pickup)
Replacement Procedure
Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
Disconnect the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister vent electrical connector, if equipped.
Disengage the 2 vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody.
Remove the clips from the underbody and discard.
Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.
Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.
Remove the complete EVAP canister vent valve assembly with bracket attached and discard.

Important: The new canister vent valve will be installed in a new location, outside of the frame.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.
Position and secure the new valve assembly to the frame bracket on the outside of the frame using the existing hole and mounting bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12 Y (106 lb in).
Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.
Install the 2 vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.
Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.
Attach a bulk 5/8 in heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp.
Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

Secure the filter box to the fuel lines above the transmission using a tie strap.
The filter box opening should be pointing downward.
Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from the pinch-points and heat sources.
Lower the vehicle.

#5 ·
Wow, that"s a very complete description of the job. I am trying to just remove vent valve solenoid for test and inspection. I was hoping not to have to raise the bed until spring. It's a bitch to get at, but believe I if i Can remove the tube I can do it. It's not so simple as cutting the hose, I still have to get the fitting off, unless I replace the vent valve solenoid. Which I was hoping not to do at this time. I will try and get a picture of the fitting tomorrow. Thanks.

#6 ·
Sometimes the quickest and least hassle is cutting or modifying something. I learned that today with trying to remove a bolt on a snowblower where no tool I had would get to it. Ended up having to grind down a hex key to fit. You could just cut the tube and fitting and replace it with some rubber tubing from the auto parts store.

I'm not positive but I think that connector is the same as this quick connect fitting which are on the heater hoses. They make a special tool for it called quick disconnect removal tool.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.