Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

What is an silverado HD LT

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Popsslowdog 
#1 Ā·
So I've been wanting to ask this question. I have a 2006 silverado crew cab Z71 with heavy duty towing package. Does this make my truck an 1500 HD LT? or is it still just a 1500lt

#5 Ā·
They used to make silverado's in 1500 and 1500hd. The heavy duty towing package doesn't neccisarily mean its a hd. It should say on the side bage whether it is a regular 1500 or a hd. The hd should have a 6.0 and it might be geared lower for better pulling.

#13 Ā·
The HD trailer package is just a factory option. It doesn't mean your truck is a 1500HD. My guess is that the HD trailer package comes with a tranny cooler, higher (numerical) gears, etc.

#14 Ā·
Also there is a difference between the 6.0 in the SS and Denali (LQ4) and other 6.0's (LQ4). Now I'm not sure if the Vortex Max trucks had the LQ4 or LQ9. The 9 was the HO motor.

#15 Ā·
From Wikipedia:
"The HD variant is a heavy-duty light truck. It is a strengthened version of the Silverado/Sierra light-duty, and is available in the 1500HD, 2500HD, and 3500 models. The 1500HD, introduced in 2001, offers a Vortec 6000 V8 with 300 hp (224 kW) at 5200 rpm and 360 lbĀ·ft (488 NĀ·m) of torque at 4000 rpm with a Hydra-Matic 4L80E four-speed automatic transmission. Towing capacity for the 1500HD is rated at 10,300 pounds (4,700 kg), and can haul 3,129 pounds (1,419 kg) in the bed."

#20 Ā·
Hi,

The HD towing package, as others have stated, is some upgrades to the truck for towing purposes. Tranny cooler, oil cooler, higher numerical rear gears, 7 pin plug, heavy duty radiator and cooling fan, etc...

The fact you have a 5.3L motor means you have a base truck with some important upgrades. LS, LT and other upgrades are specific for interior packages and exterior trim, that includes leather, gauges, types of front seats, etc...

The other different thing on HD trucks is the front grill. I think most if not all HD trucks have a split chrome bar on the front grille...

Either way, you have a nice truck that will last you a long time, if you take care of it with proper maintenance....

:D

#22 Ā·
Hey Raffi, not sure what the later models have but am pretty sure the side badge will say 1500HD if it is an HD. One thing for sure, it it is a HD, it WILL have 8-lug wheels like the 3/4 and 1-Tons. Also, I think-but am not positive-a 1500HD has 8600 GVWR on the door sticker where the 1500 LT with heavy duty towing only has 7000 GVWR on the sticker.

ALL the 1500HD's that I have personally checked do have the 6.0 instead of the 5.3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.