jQuery not supported.

Your Safety Check and Daily Inspection

Inspired by Izn197
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Re: Your Safety Check and Daily Inspection

Postby jimnfor » Aug 15 2013, 2:29pm

I have a habit of looking for leaks, when walking up to my truck. Since it sits a little higher it makes that part easier. And the tires are ALWAYS on the check list.
*under construction*
jimnfor
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: 5.3 Tahoe LT
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby SLE Z71 » Aug 23 2013, 8:41pm

I wish everyone would do this. It's really bad here in the city we have way to many "people" from across the pond, that just don't care. Hell they even change lanes in front of you with no signals.

I always check my lights when I pull up to a window or in side view mirrors at night, often I even get close to a shiny suv or other truck and see if my headlights are working :roll:
SLE Z71
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kott3670 » Oct 15 2013, 1:26pm

Make sure everything in the truck is strapped down..... Already broke my jaw once from that mistake
kott3670
Topics: 10
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L 4X4 All Star
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby mag11SGM » Oct 15 2013, 1:28pm

360 walk around.

Sent via my VZW Galaxy S3.
2015 Silver Ice Metallic CC SB Z71.
2004 White GMC Yukon SLT.
mag11SGM
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Leveled NHT wZ71 18s
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby SSchwols » Nov 15 2013, 3:55pm

On the daily, walkaround (Been doing that since SOMEONE scratched the paint in a parking lot), check for leaks real quick, check for irregular amounts of brake dust. I like to check the tire pressure whenever I fill the tank up, i find it's a better use of time than standing there staring at my money disappearing :lol:.. & once a week I pop the hood and check for any potential issues.

Never did maintenance on my old Malibu ("The Beast") and learned my lesson. I don't wait for check engine lights to come on anymore :)
SSchwols
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BigJimboFitz » Nov 15 2013, 4:33pm

I rarely take my eyes off of my truck... it's so pretty... does that count? :)
2006 GMC Sierra SLT CC 5.3 LM7 - Sold
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Z-71
BigJimboFitz
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 41
Year: 2013
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby trucker mike » Dec 01 2013, 1:53am

Like a daily task and on going us trucker a PTI. Pre. Trip. Inspection. And when trucken its a on going inspection. Monitoring ongoing stuff. Watching air gages and pressure of oil volts... I think that ever one should at least once a week turn on all your lights. 4 way flashers and just do a walk around. Then find a stick pin on brakes and check lights... you be amazed how many how many cars roll down the road with only there 3rd brake light working. And remember watch out for us truckers help us. Some times when we do our pti everthings working but our light cord might jiggle just a little and we might not know it but lose the power for brake lights or sig to our trailer... the pins become worn out.. causing this. I always use a bungee cord to help keep presure to insure they are working... keep safe everyone.

"wheels always rollin"
trucker mike
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 crew cab.
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Skeith » Dec 01 2013, 2:26am

Don't really do a safety inspection. BUT, fluids once every month or two. tires I look at all the time, I walk up to the truck and I look at em. They look a tad low, I check em.
Lights I check at the car wash. running/driving/headlights are easy. and get checked frequently, more or less by accident. either auto start and then look while I'm walking up to it.
Or if I'm loading etc with the engine running. Signals are well, the damn thing flashes faster if a lamp is burnt so I don't physically have to check em, just pay attention the the repetition of the flasher while i am signaling. brake lights. well easy to tell when I back up toward something and brake etc. I do most of this sub consciously. as i see it every driver should.

I should also mention that I have a habit of checking for leaks. If I see a spot on the pavement I will look. Kind of a bit of paranoia. At one point or another every fluid system on my old lumina had a leak. except the brakes, windshield. Coolant (more than once. the internal one killed it), power steering, oil, transmission leaked around the o ring that sealed the dipstick tube. Was just too lazy to fix it. Had a fuel leak once under the hood. Got to work and smelled fuel. Popped the hood with it running. Wiggled the fuel line and the barb patch popped loose on the return line. Fuel everywhere. It was a redneck patch because the vehicle the motor came out of had the quick releases on the engine, the lumina had quick releases on the chassis lines. I just hacked off the quick releases and clamped on the line. Then realized the return lines on the two vehicles were slightly different size. I had it coupled with a small piece of steel line. That is where the leak started and it popped off. Luckily working at a hardware store, I bought some brass barbs (cant remember the two sizes) with an MPT and FPT transition, bit of teflon tape and I was on my way. Did it on my smoke break (hindsight not to smart). Was supposed to be temporary, but it worked so well, it stayed that way until i got rid of her. :P
Skeith
Topics: 17
Year: 2009
Extra Info: WT 1500 4.3L V6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby umwolverines » Apr 04 2014, 8:27am

I look at my tires at least a few times a week. I've done it so much I can spot a tire that's only slightly low on other peoples vehicles now.
umwolverines
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 39
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L ext cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jarhead6198 » Apr 09 2014, 11:21pm

I check to make sure all of the big pieces are there than go...

When I back out of my spot I check the floor for leaks...

Rely on the DIC for the easy stuff....than every other week or so it gets a through looking at..

At oil changes everything gets checked,
Semper Fi
1981-1986

2008 Silverado CC
2" Moto Fab level
A.R.E. cap/Bedrug
DeeZee tailgate assist
Weathertech mats
Borla touring muffler
Airaid MIT
K&N filter
Diablew Tune
Jarhead6198
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
PreviousNext

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics