Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

KYChevyGirl 2002 Silverado

21K views 277 replies 50 participants last post by  KYChevyGirl 
#1 Ā·
I've been debating on creating this post for awhile now but I'm just now getting around to it! It's not going to be a fancy SEMA build or anything but it should be interesting to say the least. This is my first truck and its a beaut in my opinion. To each their own. So let me get yall caught up on what's been done so far and then I'll continue to add to it as time goes on.

When I drove it off the lot in April it was a pure stock 2002 Silverado, 4.8L Vortec, 4x4, with no exhaust (previous own had cut it off at the flange), and about 180,000 miles on it. It looks like the previous owner had some sort of a lift on it or something but had uninstalled it. I can tell because of some of the brackets under the truck. It has it's rust issues and they will be fixed soon hopefully.
View attachment 7

The very first mod I did to it was plasti-dip the bowtie black! Instead of just taping it off on the grille, I pulled it off and in doing that it snapped the clips that held it on there. Ughh! So I went ahead and dipped it and then used some super duty Elmers glue and put it back on. It's still on to this day with no problems!
View attachment 6

Next came plasti-dipping my side moldings. I'm trying to find the perfect balance between the chrome and black so I figured the chrome strips had to go although I dipped the whole piece. Again, I just taped it off. I didn't see a need to take them off only to put them back on. Don't mind the mud all over the truck in the pictures. That's what a day at the KY river will get ya! View attachment 5

After that I figured it was time for some interior mods so I bought 2 12" MTX subs (800 wts each) and a Rockford Amp (1000wts) for only $100 thanks to my brother in law. The truck came with an aftermarket head unit and didn't feel the need to buy another one. I cut the speakers in half and built them in their own separate boxes and bolted them down underneath the back seats with the amp in the middle. Plenty of room. They don't over hang or anything. I hear it's a nice massage when you're sitting in the back seat. I haven't experienced yet though. It sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the set up. I can get some if anyone is interested though.

I added a tow hook to the back of it. It has come in handy when it comes to people parking too close or tailgaters. It hurts like a SOB though when my shin accidentally runs into it though. :evil: I plasti-dipped that too but we'll get into down the line!
View attachment 4

Now it was time to get an exhaust installed because EVERYONE hated me when it came to how loud my truck was. So I went and had them put on Flowmaster 40 Series, Dual Exhaust, with 3" tips! Sounds awesome.
View attachment 1

Next, I plasti-dipped the front bumper, the grille, back bumper (black parts only), tow hook, receiver, the connector box, and the licence plate lights. I ended up taking the PD off the front bumper. I liked it but it's not the look I'm wanting like now. Maybe later down the line.
View attachment 3
View attachment 2

My most recent mod was adding the Bully Side Steps to the truck. I got them from AutoAnything and received great service! They are holding up great and were pretty easy to install. If anybody has looked into these, I'd definitely recommend them!

Alright, we'll you're up to date on everything. I have a long list of future mods I would like to do and I'll list them out eventually but as of right now, I'm out of time.

Thanks for reading and if you have any questions, just ask. I will be updating this post every chance I get and with every new mod! I hope you enjoy watching my build just as much as I enjoy building it! :D

See less See more
#3 Ā·
Looks good! I especially enjoy the exhaust and the dipped bowtie/bumper, nice touch. I also pulled my bow when i dipped it, what a pain in the ass it was to remove!

#7 Ā·
Great start with the mods. She's lookin good! If you're after a leveling kit, I would recommend the Rough Country 2" Full Leveling Kit, part number 283N2. http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408638675&sr=1-1
I installed this on my 2001 Silverado almost 14 months ago. It comes with new torsion keys, rear blocks and hardware, new shocks all around, and fairly clear instructions. Pretty good deal. I run 285/75R16 BFG KM2's on 16x8 MotoMetals with a 0 offset. No rubbing at all. Freakin love my KM2's. They do excellent on pavement, dirt, mud, snow, and ice. Had to kick it into 4x4 at times while driving on ice after a couple small fishtailing incidents. They're a little noisy on pavement, but that doesn't bother me a bit.
Got any pictures of those subs? I'm a fan of aftermarket audio :mrgreen:

#10 Ā·
Awesome to see a girl modifying her own truck! My wife shakes her head and rolls her eyes every time I order new parts or change things on one of my trucks. That black bow tie looks good, I think I will do that when I get home from work tonight.

#11 Ā·
I was going to get Rough Country but I was thinking the 2.5"?? which one is better/bigger? I know that sounds like a dumb question but I am still new to most of this stuff! And I'll definitely have to look into that tire set up!
I don't have a picture of the subs right now but I'll take one and post it as soon as I can!
I'm not sure on the two hook, it was off of my brothers Jeep.
I LOVE working on my truck. It's becoming a passion! It's pretty awesome to see people's reaction when they realize I work on my own truck.

#13 Ā·
I don't think there is a 2.5" kit for our trucks. The 2.5" kit is for the NNBS trucks. But you can always crank up the torsion bars a little bit after installing the 2" level. The torsion keys that come with the kit already put the torsion bars at a higher angle to lift the front 2", but you can crank the bolts a little more than where they were with the stock keys.

#15 Ā·
Truck is coming along nicely! If you were to get the level kit, don't waste your money on the RC shocks. My ride was worse with those then the stock shocks. I replaced them with bilstiens and the ride is night and day difference.

#16 Ā·
*I found out the tow hook came from Harbor Freight.
I went to the RC website and put in my truck info and got a 2.5 level kit in the results. What's wrong with RC? And can I get the kit without the shocks? Either way I need shocks because what I have now are the worst things ever.

#17 Ā·
You should be able to. I bought just the rear blocks from them and got the keys for $40 off eBay. If you have the money to get bilstiens, thats the way to go imo.

#18 Ā·
My wish list grows every single day. Here's what it is as of right now and if it grows some more I will share:

Fender Flares (preferably pocket style)
Wheels
Tires
Tow Mirrors (so I can see all my haters :lol: )
Leveling Kit
Light Bar
Tinted Windows
EZ Down Tailgate Lift
CAI
Bed Liner
Headlights/Tail lights
Tool Box
Possibly a programmer?
Either a Paramount Mesh Billet Grille OR a 2500 front end conversion
Seat Swap (From the bench seat to the console/jump seat)
1500 Emblems (Instead of the stickers I currently have)
Shocks
Body Lift?
I'd also like to swap my crank windows for electric eventually and possible drop a 5.3 in her.

#19 Ā·
Ah, I see what you're saying now. 1.5-2.5" Leveling Kit on their website. It is a little adjustable since we have the torsion keys. I remember reading that RIPPEDK20 had a bad experience with RC and their customer service. I know that RC's old kits were crap also, but they have gotten a whole lot better since then. Just do your homework and make an informed decision. Just like almost anything for these trucks - you get what you pay for! And I absolutely agree with the Bilsteins. I'll be buying some Bilsteins in the future sometime. Fox Racing also makes awesome shocks from what I've read. AutoAnything.com is pretty much the best central source for mods, so that's definitely a great starting point. Good luck and good modding!

#20 Ā·
Tints relatively cheap. It was the first thing I did to my truck. It makes it look so much better too. As for a toolbox you can usually find them pretty cheap on craigslist. Also AJ from autoanything has done this forum great. I bought my CAI off of him and saved a bit of money using the code "FRMSILVERADOSIERRA16". Keep up the modding and keep us updated.

#21 Ā·
Can anybody answer this for me??

KYChevyGirl said:
I have an idea and I'm not sure if it can work or not so I'm bringing it to the forum! First a little back story. I think my truck is the base model because it just has the bench seat. I've been wanting to swap them out for the jump seat with the console. I went to the junkyard today and they had one for $400. That's wayyyy too much for comfort if you ask me. So I'm thinking instead of swapping out the whole bench, can I just take the jump seat out, cut the back off and install the console?

This is the seat I currently have.

And this is the console I'm thinking about installing. Of course I'm going to look around for a cheaper one. But will it work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-06-SILVERADO ... 4897.l4275

#22 Ā·
Kanaloa said:
Great start with the mods. She's lookin good! If you're after a leveling kit, I would recommend the Rough Country 2" Full Leveling Kit, part number 283N2. http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408638675&sr=1-1
I installed this on my 2001 Silverado almost 14 months ago. It comes with new torsion keys, rear blocks and hardware, new shocks all around, and fairly clear instructions. Pretty good deal. I run 285/75R16 BFG KM2's on 16x8 MotoMetals with a 0 offset. No rubbing at all. Freakin love my KM2's. They do excellent on pavement, dirt, mud, snow, and ice. Had to kick it into 4x4 at times while driving on ice after a couple small fishtailing incidents. They're a little noisy on pavement, but that doesn't bother me a bit.
Got any pictures of those subs? I'm a fan of aftermarket audio :mrgreen:
Here it is plus the aftermarket head unit! Don't mind the dirt! View attachment 2
View attachment 1

#23 Ā·
Nice setup. Those boxes fit perfectly under the seat. My sub hangs out a little bit from under the seat.

#24 Ā·
Alright so a little update on my truck! My center hubs have been a complete pain in the ass. Whoever had the truck before me used air tools to take the wheels off. Of course that stripped the lugs nuts AND the covers! So my center hubs have been falling off! I said screw it and took the center hubs off. And to keep the wheels from sticking out like a sore thumb, I plasti dipped em! I'm not a big fan but it's better than the alternative. It's not as obvious as it would have been. This is just a temporary fix while I save up for new wheels and tires! View attachment 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.