Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rear disc conversion

24K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  larryn 
#1 Ā·
Hey, im looking at doing a rear disc brake conversion for my 2009 silverado 1500, I was wondering if anyone knows or recommends certain kits or not, another thought is doing a complete axle away with a suburban or Tahoe, I don't want to spend too much but definitely want to get this done
Keith
2009 silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 lt 5.3

#2 Ā·
The Suburban and Tahoe rear end will not be a direct swap because they use a coil spring rear suspension. I would reccomend staying with the drum rear brakes. 4 Wheel disk is not always the best solution. My 2004 Silverado had 4 wheel disk brakes and it's stopping abality and pedal feel was a lot worse than my 2005 and 2012 which have disk front and drum rear.

#3 Ā·
+1

A much simpler route would be to upgrade the pads and rotors to something from Hawk or EBC.

#4 Ā·
ASTE25 said:
The Suburban and Tahoe rear end will not be a direct swap because they use a coil spring rear suspension. I would reccomend staying with the drum rear brakes. 4 Wheel disk is not always the best solution. My 2004 Silverado had 4 wheel disk brakes and it's stopping abality and pedal feel was a lot worse than my 2005 and 2012 which have disk front and drum rear.
Bang on!

#5 Ā·
when I purchased the vehicle new, the brakes were amazing but the old style rear drums do not adjust with the wear of the shoes. I've taken them apart, cleaned and lubricated everything and they still don't adjust properly. I drive fast on the highway and often times slam on my brakes and I have terrible brake fade from the front pads since they are doing all the work, hence the topic and post. I have been a mechanic at a Mercedes dealership for 10 years now. Mercedes stopped using rear drums I think in the late 60's. Reason being it costs more to have a drum parking brake with disc brakes but the performance is better with the disc. the post is asking who has done it and who recommends certain products, not whether or not I should do it. Thanks
Keith

#6 Ā·
Well, if you are dead set on doing it then I'd get an aftermarket set up (like from wilwood or someone like them). I'm not sure, but the earlier style rear ends (from the 1999-2007 nbs) may be a bolt in as far as the suspension and axle length. Did you know that the only way the rear brakes self adjust is if you come to a complete stop either going up a hill or in reverse? They will not self adjust unless there is a backwards rocking action when the truck completely stops. You origional post asked if anyone had any reccomendations, and mine was to stay with what you have. If you decide to go for it, let us know what you do and if possible, do a write up on it. I know there have been several threads on here about this subject already.

#7 Ā·
If you do an axle swap make sure the gears are the same. The nnbs Sierra Denali's have rear disk brakes don't they?

#8 Ā·
boarderboy217 said:
when I purchased the vehicle new, the brakes were amazing but the old style rear drums do not adjust with the wear of the shoes. I've taken them apart, cleaned and lubricated everything and they still don't adjust properly. I drive fast on the highway and often times slam on my brakes and I have terrible brake fade from the front pads since they are doing all the work, hence the topic and post. I have been a mechanic at a Mercedes dealership for 10 years now. Mercedes stopped using rear drums I think in the late 60's. Reason being it costs more to have a drum parking brake with disc brakes but the performance is better with the disc. the post is asking who has done it and who recommends certain products, not whether or not I should do it. Thanks
Keith
May i suggest a new less aggressive driving style as trucks aren't race cars. And keep the rear disc brakes, my '05 w/120k still stops on a dime with or without a trailer. Just out of curiosity you don't by chance work at the Mercedes dealership in Naperville. Last I heard it was the mid west's biggest Mercedes dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.