Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rear drums warped?

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  6Sixathome 
#1 ·
Is this even possible? Well it's more of a sqeek when they are good and warmed up with some pulse and the sqeek sounds as if it's hitting some high spots on the drum. When I first got the truck I did pull the drums off and the shoes looked new and the drums appeared to be in good shape but I could'nt tell if they were warped just by looking at them. Has anyone else had this?

#4 ·
lzn197 said:
Can you apply the parking brake as you roll and feel it pulse?
I have'nt tried that, I'll do that this morning before I pull it into the garage and pull the tires and drums for further inspection, if I'm that far I may just go and get new shoes, spring kit and drums and be done with it. I've never had rear drums sqeek like this before, really wish I had rear disk breaks.

#5 ·
Crawl Away said:
My '06 had to go in for service two times over warped drums in the rear.
Really?, so I guess it not too uncommon. What symptoms did you have?

#6 ·
lzn197 said:
Can you apply the parking brake as you roll and feel it pulse?
I tried that today and all I got was a pretty good sqeek (this is before I took off the drums), so I took off the tires and drums and cleaned all the dust from everything to find that the shoes looked ok, but not the best quality shoe out there and the drums had a nice shine to them with some wear lines so I put everything back together only to have a noticible sqeek. I ordered new shoes and drums and I'll install tomorrow. I did notice that the shoes are held in place by a large 3/4 circle looking bracket, whats the trick to removing this?, because this will be the first time I've came across one of these.

#7 ·
6Sixathome said:
Crawl Away said:
My '06 had to go in for service two times over warped drums in the rear.
Really?, so I guess it not too uncommon. What symptoms did you have?
Vibes/pulsing when stopping.

#8 ·
Well I got the rear brake job done and I bought the special spring release tool that worked pretty good, it clamps to the hub and pulls the spring kind of in two ways to release it and you can also use it to install the spring, all in all the job went well and the brakes are quiet now :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.