mine is not acting up at all
As well if you wanna do the replacement yourself
you can,but you must buy the parts from a GM dealer and submit the bill
for payment

Now here comes the part where I vent on the age old problem of getting
ripped off by the Canadian dealerships
One dealer ship quoted me $189.00 just for the wiring harness :eek:
the other I called said $118.00 just for the harness

I asked if it comes with the KY jelly or is that extra???
but they didn't think that was funny
then I said why don't you give me the parts and Ill do it myself
and we are square??
they didn't think that was funny either
no sense of humour these guys I'm telling ya

I stopped right there of course and thought screw that they can do it
really stupid though because I can order the resistor and harness from
LMC for about $100 including shipping and duty I don't know who makes it
but it won't be ac delco Im sure, that also doesn't include the heater motor
if need be

Either way you just know its gonna crap out at the worst time possible
and you'll be driving to work in 30 below scraping the window so you can see
or worse the truck burns up when you got the heater blasting
So I may just bite the bullet buy an after market one eat the cost
and do it myself rather than being stranded if its bad enough to do a recall
on all these trucks its gotta be real you'd think
because I haven't ever got a recall on any of my GM trucks before
and alot of things should have been.

please give me you thoughts on this guys

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is my .02 cents worth. Leave it alone! Just because GM releases a special policy, doesn't mean you will HAVE the problem. And IF you start unplugging things, looking at it, other problems will pop up.
Drive the vehicle and enjoy it.

#4 ·
I think I do have the problem manifesting in my 04. When I was running the A/C this last summer, the blower was in position no. 3 and the fan would intermittantly cycle between high to low speed. History: The truck was dead for a few months while I was in Afghanistan. Got a new bat but the truck hasn't been the same since. None of the chimes and associated warnings work and the OLM doesn't work.

Should I assume it's the resistor or a computer problem?

#5 ·
Whoo hoo. Blower Motor resistor on 2003 Chevy Silverabo not Blower. Spoke with you guys yesterday. It's not a recall it is an extended warranty on certain parts and guess what???? My VIN didn't fall under the numbers who woulda known MEEEE. Not hard at all to do. I did it mysef GIRL AND ALL. Drop the shroud 2 bolts 2 connecters 2 more bolts out. EASY BREEZY. Diagnosed and fixed by a GIRL. Just shows anyone can do it. :D :lol: :p I will be contacting Chevy though because I have 2 boys and if this would of caught fire with them in the truck. No telln what i woulda done. 70.00 and an hour later. I have air. Couldnt afford it but it had to be done. Thanks for the help yesterday though.

#7 ·
Thanks to you all for the input very much appreciated!
my reasoning for this is I have small Twin girls and I don't need this thing messing up in the middle of winter or worse, I'd rather fix it now.
I have read so many problems with the climate controls on this site and others I figured better do something before the snow flies and the
words smoke & burn on the letter kinda gave me the willies
and I know its simple to replace the resistor thats nothing
I have done it on my older GMS before and my dads old F---150

I see Gordons point too, if it ain't broke don't mess with it
this truck has been bullet proof since I bought it not a problem at all.
and the dealer said they may have to do all 3 parts ,that was his reasoning for waiting do it once and they'll cover it all.
so I thought id see what everyone else thought about it and go from there
thanks Again

#8 ·
i ahve that problem with my 06.. ac/heat doesnt work on power 5. when i try it you hear it all click off and after about a minute i get a little smell of smoke but i havent recieved anything for a recall but heard about it before. im to lazy to get around to fix it and like you said "the dealer will screw you".. so i just dont use that level and its been good. but it is something to really consider.

#9 ·
I went the "if it isn't broke don't fix it" route and almost lost my truck over it. My resistor melted last night and caught the insulation on the panel under it on fire. I had to rip the lower dash panel off to get it out. It went from funny smell to a cabin full of smoke in 2 min.

#12 ·
alright alright alright.. so i recently had my recall done and when i got my truck back i now have no cold air (AC). it worked beautifully before i brought it in to get the recall work done.. and now the dealership wants to charge me for a new system. personally it makes me extremely mad especially with the temps hittin the 100 degree mark. i just find it wrong/aggraviting of chevy to do that to me now (and this is not the first time this particular dealership has made a mistake and wants to charge me for it).. time for a change

#13 ·
hey dude just wondering if you can help me out i have 06 silverado and my resistor went on me. i went to the dealer
and ask if there was any recalls on this part they told me no. now im justing wondering where did you find your info at. cuz i replacsed mine with a new resistor and still acts up and they're saying i have to change the part again at a 170$ a pop this is starting to add up. any help would be great! thx Jay

#14 ·
SilveradoMark said:
Mine doesn't work on 5. I have the letter, but just haven't had the ambition to bring it in or get the resistor to do it myself.
hey dude just wondering if you can help me out i have 06 silverado and my resistor went on me. i went to the dealer
and ask if there was any recalls on this part they told me no. now im justing wondering where did you find your info at. cuz i replacsed mine with a new resistor and still acts up and they're saying i have to change the part again at a 170$ a pop this is starting to add up. any help would be great! thx Jay

#22 ·
sleddkid said:
not in montreal my friend 170$ do you no where i can get a copy of this letter for recall cuz the dealer told me there is no recall
Hello,

Below is the phone# for our Canadian Customer Service Team. They should be able to assist you with any recall concerns you many have. I hope you have a good week despite any car concerns.

800-263-3777 Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST

#23 ·
I`ve got the very letter GM sent me for my 04 1500 here in my hands for this issue.

It reads, in part, " General Motors is providing additional protection for this condition. If this condition occurs on your Silverado within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired at no charge."

So it is a warranty extension, not a recall. There is also a request for reimbursement form which accompanied the letter. If you had it done in the past, you can submit a claim with the proper documentation.

#25 ·
See, all of you guys got off easy.....the defective blower/resistor on my wifes 06 1500 just cost me over 60 grand! Took her truck in for the repair work and got all googly eyed at the new trucks.....bada bing, presto magico....left several hours later with TWO new trucks.....see, it's a conspiracy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.