Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2005 Dual climate control panel lights

52K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  MoonBase 
#1 ·
I've got the dual climate control panel with the sliders for the different sides. The DS lights keep flickering off and on. I can thump the panel and they'll stay on until i change something on the panel or shut off the truck. How hard is it to change these bulbs and what kind of bulb is it? I'd like to have enough bulbs to replace all that are in this panel when I have it out and are these bulbs the same as what's in the speedo? RS of speedo past 60 is out as well.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm not sure what bulb it uses, but it sounds like the problem is a loose connection (probably the bulb in the socket). You could probably get away with just making sure the bulb is in good and tight. An auto parts house should be able to tell you the bulb that is used.

#3 ·
ASTE25 said:
I'm not sure what bulb it uses, but it sounds like the problem is a loose connection (probably the bulb in the socket). You could probably get away with just making sure the bulb is in good and tight. An auto parts house should be able to tell you the bulb that is used.
Everything I'm seeing is that the bulbs in both the instrument cluster and ac control panel are not replaceable. If that's the case that's completely nuts. The $100k+ trucks I work on at least use 194s or the tiny twist base bulbs in the clusters and panels, I hate the idea of replacing entire clusters for half the lights being out.

#6 ·
Toasted_311, i got that problem to.. its just a loose connection so you dont need to worry about buying a new bulb (unless you want to upgrade). hope this helps

#7 ·
I've got the problem where the light behind my dual climate control thing will not light up. I would like to know exactly the kind of bulb that goes in there, However, changing it is not a major issue at this point.

#16 ·
Hey toasted and others,

I realize this is an old post, but is this what you were asking about??

Link: Auto Parts Warehouse

If it is, then you'll see that fixing the LED lights will be major work, and need a good hand at soldering.

I had the same problem with mine. The LED lights were all but out. I purchased a new control panel (eBay) and installed it. The whole install took less than 30 minutes. Two screws and a plug, after pulling the front bezel off around the dash. I paid $70.00 for mine, earlier this year. You'll need to look around for a good deal unfortunately. The part at dealers in insanely expensive, and even the link I provided it's $161.00 - ouch!

Link: eBay

BTW - The control panel can be or is specific to your truck model and options. I had the heated side mirror(s) option that comes on when you use the rear window defogger. So the rear defrost button has a little squiggle on it. You may or may not have that option, or even a rear window defrost. Just a heads up...

I hope this helped. Good luck with the repairs! :D

#17 ·
Mine to, the one side was out of the heater controler, so I took it out of the dash and thought lets take a peek, once you have the whole unit out , there are 4 little screws,plus 2 little screws that hold the round plug in and you have to remove the knobs as well as the 2 slider knobs, well the are glued on, I ended up breaking the sliders,so now I have no heat at all, I found a new controller on Amazon for $83.00 as well on ebay , but shipping is stupid crazy I did contact some wreckers, so I will have to wait and see what they want for a unit.

So if your little lights are out on your controller, they are solderd on a board, either live with it for being out, or replace the whole unit.

#18 ·
Or since I now know the light are 4mm I can use my ability to solider and repair circuit boards and only cost myself about $10 and maybe an hour once the bulbs are here. Much rather repair than replace when possible.

#19 ·
Hey all, old thread i suppose, but it was helpful to me, so i want to add some info to it:

Just got my 2003 Silverado LS Z71 on Friday, and it came with the kinds of problems i think i can fix pretty well.

My Heater Control Panel had ZERO lights on when i got it, so after some searching i found this thread. On my part, i have a background in computer / electronics repair. I had a set of ten 12v lights sitting in a box from when i repaired my 05 Suburban's speedometer stepper motor, so i figured they'd probably work.

I saw sewerrat mention the two slider knobs were glued on, which made me extra cautious, but it turns out the are not. They are just on pretty tightly. After i popped the two round knobs off, and the 4 screws, i was able to ease a small flathead screwdriver behind the slider knobs and gently twist. They popped off without too much effort, and i was able to proceed to do the repair. Got it all back together and realized i had used all 12v bulbs, but someone i recall mentioned some were 6v and some were 12v.

Well, it turns out the 3 bulbs around each circle knob must be 6v, because after it was put back together, the middle bulbs were nice and bright, and the others were about half brightness. Oh well, at least i can see it at all now, and don't have to fumble for the heat when it's dark and cold. Maybe i'll re-do it in the spring.

#21 ·
Did anyone ever find where to get the six 6volt LEDS you need for the HVAC cluster? I put all 12V in mine not thinking that they would be different (more like hoping, because after only two lit up properly I remembered reading something on here to that effect. I've been searching eBay with no luck...

#22 ·
The two bulbs that mount next to the center sliders are out on my 2007. I will be soldering on some new ones soon, so i'm interested to find out if they are 6V or 12V LED's. Part numbers would be helpful, so in the mean time I will be searching for these answers. I have not removed my circuit board yet, so was happy to find this thread. Sounds like a very common problem.

Edit:
Looking around on the web, I see that there are replacement solder in LED bulbs available for GM instrument clusters up to 2006 year models.
Anyone know what changed for the 2007's? Would they still be solder in bulbs? Like I said, I have not removed mine yet.

#23 ·
I replaced all of them with 12V LEDs yesterday and the sliders are the only ones that light up properly. The other 3 around each circular knob only light up very low (barley visible at all). I tested all the bulbs so I know the lights themselves aren't the issue. I assume the middle two by the sliders are 12V since mine worked fine, but the others have to be less than that. I read somewhere on a thread that the others were 6V another guy said 4V so I don't know where to go from here. I'm hoping someone gives a definite answer so I can go back in and put some different bulbs in to light up the rest. Best of luck!

#24 ·
forgot to mention that I don't have any part numbers, I bought some LEDs off of eBay to replace the bulbs in my cluster and those were the ones I used. Cluster turned out great with no issues, if you have to do those as well they are 12V...

#26 ·
USCG-Silverado said:
I replaced all of them with 12V LEDs yesterday and the sliders are the only ones that light up properly. The other 3 around each circular knob only light up very low (barley visible at all). I tested all the bulbs so I know the lights themselves aren't the issue. I assume the middle two by the sliders are 12V since mine worked fine, but the others have to be less than that. I read somewhere on a thread that the others were 6V another guy said 4V so I don't know where to go from here. I'm hoping someone gives a definite answer so I can go back in and put some different bulbs in to light up the rest. Best of luck!
Edit: I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was changing the bulbs and he did confirm that the bulbs around the circular knobs were 6V and the two slider bulbs were 12V. Since I'm having a hard time finding just 6v bulbs with a built in resistor i may use a 3V LED and just solder in a resistor to it..Haven't really decided yet.. Hope this helps someone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.